• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Rescaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alison Swain

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Just installed an older version of ACI and I'm having problems with Apex. I'm fairly certain the problem is the settings in Rescaling. The lines are huge and I've noticed that the area that squares your dimensions as you go is not activated. I tried rescaling and it completely screwed up Apex.

Randall, are you still monitoring?

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
Hi, Alison...

Yes I am here. We've got to stop meeting like this, LOL. We need to get you up and running!

Please let me know your Apex version. Go to the Help menu in Apex and select "About"... You should see a version and a date there.

Also, what is your Operating System? (WinXP, Vista, etc.)

I keep re-reading your post and I am not sure what it all means. If you can give us a call tomorrow, we can run a utility that (with your permission) lets us see your screen and take control of things while in Apex. That way we can look at the settings and see wazzup.

Alison Swain

Professional Status
State
Florida
Version 1.41 --- damn, that sounds old!

What's the best number? You can PM me with it.

Thanks, Randall.

Last edited:

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
State
Texas
Hi Alison,

Darn. I got tied up yesterday afternoon and am just now checking the forum this Saturday morning. I wish I had checked yesterday so I could have gotten you hooked up with a tech person at the office. Maybe we can try on Monday (?) Feel free to email me at the address spelled out below and we can try to coordinate a good time of the day. Generally, Monday mornings are the busiest times, but by the afternoon things are usually evened out.

Yes, v1.41 is super old. My v1.x program, being our first Windows version, was pretty clunky. I believe the sole reason that v1.41 was released was because v1.40 would not run correctly when Windows XP came out. Anyway, to put it in perspective, I think v1.x had a 4 year, v2.x was also around for 4 years and v3 is going on 3 years now. Our current version is v4.1 is also labeled "Apex Medina." Of course, each succeeding version adds features - blah, blah, blah... :) The major jumps came with between v2 and v3 where we added over 40 new features - but the important distinction is that most of them were as a result of direct customer requests. Some were for new capabilities but many were to correct items which were poorly implemented in v1 and v2 and were thus taking up too much time, etc. The jump between v3 and v4 is huge, too. We made a mistake with v4.0 - it was not a good product IMHO (and I own the company, LOL)... To make a long story short, I mandated that the v4 program be stripped to the core and redesigned. The important thing to know is that v4.1 is like a new version compared to v4.0. Anyway, Apex Medina (a.k.a. Apex v4.1) is the current product and is, by far, the best program to date. If you were to upgrade your old program, you'd want to go with v4.1. Some people have the mistaken notion that you have to upgrade to v2, then v3, then v4 but this is not true. You could upgrade to v3 but v4.1 is far superior and is the same price so I don't know why anyone would go from an older version to v3 which is already 3 years old. Heck, v4 is almost a year old now, thought we continue to update it. BTW, upDATES (i.e. v4.0 to v4.1, etc) are free to registered users. UpGRADES (i.e. v2.x to v3.x) have an upgrade fee, as usual in the industry.

Below is a link to our site where you can learn more about the newest version. Don't be alarmed at the difference in way it looks. We have always gone forward with the design goal of despite the "look", if you simply close your eyes, you can draw as you always did. That is, if you do not get distracted by an interface change, you can still draw. All the same [F] keys work, the same "commands", etc. We spend a great deal of time trying to maintain backward compatibility for the user. If we add something, it is usually an "extension" of an existing feature... the previous feature is still there and works as it did before, but perhaps using the [Ctrl] key along with the legacy command does something like before, but enhanced. Kind of like when we added "Pop"... The logic was that if you can press an Arrow Key to move the cursor over one "unit" (usually 1.0'), then holding the [Ctrl] Key down while pressing the same Arrow Key will make it move the same direction, but in an enhanced fashion. I trust that you know what using the [Ctrl] [Arrow Key] does - "pop" to alignment points in that direction... Anyway, we add stuff like that but leave the old commands in where needed, but we also add completely new stuff - stuff people ask for, stuff they say they want to make things easier or faster. It's not just stuff we dream up, LOL - it is stuff other appraisers want... :)

The first video is a "What is new" type video and is mainly geared toward v3 users, so it mainly shows some of the stuff added between v3 and v4. There was a similar one for the stuff added between v2 and v3 but I don't think it is on the web site anymore because that was so long ago. Anyway, I recommend that you watch all the videos, but the first one is the most comprehensive. It is more of an "ad" so keep that in mind. The others are more tutorial or "How do I?" and represent the videos that are part of the on-line video tutorial system. There is also a recorded Webinar session that you can watch. We do Webinars weekly and they cover basic or advanced topics and user input, questions, etc. The recorded session is simply one of many and is just meant to be representative of what a typical session is like. I noted that when you replay it, there is some "hum" and you cannot clearly hear the users' questions, but they are clear in a real session. Since you are using such an old version of Apex, I recommend you watch the videos and the Webinar so you'll understand what we mean when we say that experienced users don't have to be distracted by the new interface - you'll see that the instructor is pretty much doing what you do on a regular basis. No new keys/commands, etc. except when they are showing something new or enhanced.

Here is the link to the page. Hope it helps!

http://www.apexwin.com/v5/apr_standard.php

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I will concur with the above assessment. Version 3.2 was very good and version 4.1 is an improvement on that. (I think everyone would prefer to just pretend 4.0 was a bad dream that didn't really happen. Hey, it works for TV shows.) If you upgrade to Medina (version 4.1) I think you will be very pleased.

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
State
Texas
CP:

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, I have to take responsibility for letting 4.0 out the door. I was away from the office during development so it was the only version of Apex that I was not directly involved with. There were some good ideas there, but I think the focus shifted from functionality to fluff. In any case, it was a lesson learned - we won't let that happen again... ;-)

FWIW, we're working on aother free update. Mainly has stuff that is "under the hood" stuff, but there will be some goodies in there, too... :) Let me know if there is something you want added or changed so I an put it on the list or let you all know where it is in the stack...

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I've always been confused with the rescaling option. Seems that the zoom function and rescaling are too closely related. Also have problems with the text rescaling with the sketch. Might start out with a font size of "8" and end up with "4.23". That makes it difficult to add additional text without checking what the other font sizes are.

Rescaling should be a feature that's pretty much hidden away while the zoom feature should work as a more top level function. Don't like how rolling my mouse button changes the scaling.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Different strokes for different folks. I love the rescaling with scroll wheel.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Rescaling should only have to be done at the completion of a sketch so that it fits on the page. Zooming is a feature that is used more often during the drawing of the sketch, so it should be the easier of the two functions to initiate. The scroll wheel should be reserved for the more popular functions- not a function that should have to be invoked only one time during a sketch.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Pat, I draw the sketch on site with MobileSketch on my Pocket PC. When I am in Apex, rescaling is the the most popular function. I don't recall the last time I want to use zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks