• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Residential Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
It is hard for some to believe, but I live in a MSA of about 360,000 and most residential is very cookie cutter. I also find rural properties pretty easy, maybe because I have lived here for so long.

I have been visiting my future home county in Michigan for almost two years and there seem to be a lot more "odd" properties. I am guessing when I move that I will be doing more residential assignments and only doing big assignments in Iowa.

My question is, I want to be the best residential appraiser I can be, armed with the most education and tools I can get my hands on. I am thinking about taking the following courses and would like to know others inputs on them. I have about 300 total hours of appraisal education hours not including continuing ed and wonder if I will be "bored" with these classes in that they might be too elementary. As a hobby (I am a geek) I read appraisal books and have read about three residential books cover to cover in the last year including the AI residential appraisal book (which I found to be educational, but sometimes too elementary with my experience).

The courses are all offered this spring from the AI:

-Residential Market Analysis and Highest and Best Use

-Residential Valuation and Cost Approach

-Residential Sales Comparison and Income Approach

-Residential Report Writing and Case Studies

Thank you for your opinions.

seattle98116

Professional Status
State
Washington
Timothy,
These are all of the track courses for the SRA. They are also what are required for certification. I found the HABU to be somewhat entry level...I traveled from Seattle to Baltimore to take it during my obtaining the SRA. I thought it would be more advanced, but didn't really seem to be. I have a friend who just took to the Commercial Market Analysis and HABU instructors' course from the AI, and they were told that most appraisers are doing this wrong. Maybe they have changed it a bit since I was there about a year ago, but being an AI course, if nothing else, sets a good foundation to build off of. The report writing course is an eye-opener for residential appraisers that haven't completed narrative reports. But being a CG already, these all may be rudimentary.
Good Luck,
Justin

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
This was a reply I got via a PM. Sounds like good advice.

Take a class on building construction meant for building contractors. Find a class on building codes. A community college class on becoming a building code inspector. Take a home inspectors education class. Take college level statistics! ... Take a college level class on spreadsheet programs...

JC California

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I am a general contractor with experience in both residential and commercial projects. I believe that my experience has given me an advantage in residential appraisal work over someone outside of the building trades. I think the PM you received may be good advise.

This is the fist time I have given advice to a CG. You are exceptional person if you are willing to accept advice from a humble CR. The wise members of this forum may realize that many have valuable experience outside of appraising, some just by virtue of their age and life experiences.

Good Luck

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I am a general contractor with experience in both residential and commercial projects. I believe that my experience has given me an advantage in residential appraisal work over someone outside of the building trades. I think you have an extreme advantage, and I value your opinion. I think the PM you received may be good advise. I also think the PM was great advice and I am pretty sure I am going to follow that advice assuming I can find those classes.

This is the fist time I have given advice to a CG. You are exceptional person if you are willing to accept advice from a humble CR. This is a thing that most of us need to get over. Yeah, I am CG, but I would guess that most CR appraisers have more knowledge than I do about residential properties. There are too many egos involved with certifications and licenses. I can learn from you, and you might be able to learn from me. Any one who thinks that they are smarter than the rest and has nothing to learn needs to quit appraising, in my humble opinion. The wise members of this forum may realize that many have valuable experience outside of appraising, some just by virtue of their age and life experiences.

Good Luck
Thanks JC, if you ever need anything let me know.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
GM Tim - got your pm. My advice - go Legal.

http://www.michbar.org/memberdirectory/

The offices of the Michigan State Bar Association are located at:

State Bar of Michigan
306 Townsend Street
Lansing, Michigan 48933-2012
Phone: (517) 346-6300 or (800) 968-1442
Fax: (517) 482-6248

---------- >>Also source/market to specific COUNTY Bar Assns., District Attorneys, and State AG, State Board, and Join Local Builders Associations.

I also second JCs comments. Happy New Year!
----------

suggested Courses as well:

Advanced Residential Applications and Case Studies/Part 1
15 (including 1-hour exam)

Sales Comparison Valuation of Small, Mixed-Use Properties
16 (including 1-hour exam)

The Appraiser as an Expert Witness: Preparation and Testimony

Litigation Appraising: Specialized Topics and Applications

Condemnation Appraising: Basic Principles and Applications

Condemnation Appraising: Advanced Topics and Applications

finally......... given your current License and Experience....... GET your MAI.

Last edited:

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Timothy,

I am not a member of the AI, but, the best course in residential appraisal rhat I have ever taken was the AI 7 day long course in Residential Appraisal Case Study. I took that in 1994. I had been teaching real estate and appraisal course since 1984 and had a good grasp of residential appraisal. But, that course still guides me today. I would also suggest a course in construction. I might also suggest a course in real estate finance and real estate law. Having taught both of those courses as well as over 20 different appraisal courses and real estate brokerage, I believe they would serve you well.

Good luck & good fortune in your move and new ventures.

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Timothy, you might want to check out the offering in Cleveland below. Chuck and Maggie are good teachers, and they work well together. The teacher makes a lot of difference in the class in my mind, and I would recommend them as a team. Also, Cleveland isn't that far from Monroe, but since you wouldn't want to try and work during a 4-5 day course anyway, and you meet some pretty neat people in these classes, check it out!

http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/education/course_descrb/default.asp?prgrm_nbr=301R

Brad Ellis

Professional Status
State
California
Serena,

Bad advice! :rof: :rof: :rof: I've had Chuck's brain in a jar on my desk for years now and you can tell me him to contact me if he wants it back!

Tim is from Iowa and he is closer to Chicago. So unless he needs to see the R+R Hall of Fame, taking these coursess from Joe Mags could be just as good.

Don't know Maggie and of course am kidding about Chuck, whom I do know. In fact we took our USPAP instructor course from Danny Wiley and Dave Snook at a NAIFA instructor conference and Chuck was the first to finish the exam and passed.

Tim, you might also want to consider Tulsa- less expensive than Chicago and John Wilkerson in Pryor Creek puts on some of the very best courses around.

www.NAIFA.com

Good luck,

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks