• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Residential Sf Standard With Extra Thick Icf Construction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J L H

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Utah
I work for a county assessor doing ad valorem work and part of our job is defending / supporting assessed values. a coworker asked about one of their dilemmas. She's looking at a custom home that the owner has been very reticent for us to get inside, but we think we have the room count and type correct based on some plans. The home is built of insulated concrete forms (ICF) which do pop up in our market from time to time but are still not common. One issue we're running into is how many square feet the building really is (or should be). According to a contractor working on the site years ago, the walls are THREE FEET THICK! Typically residential properties are measured by their exterior dimensions, not interior like condos. Is there a regulatory standard - or industry convention at least - on how ICF properties are measured?

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
We do concrete block/concrete construction down here, all dimensions are exterior. Now if Mr Reticent doesn't like the measurements, he can let you in and let you really look and see if the home has 3' walls, etc. (BTW I was an assistant chief property appraiser of a county in Texas at one time). The burden of proof shifts to him.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
As long as your comps have 3-foot thick walls, no problem. Otherwise, I'd probably come up with an "effective" square footage, based on 6" or at the most 12" wall equivalents.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I wonder if that holds true from state to state.
Somewhat but state law here does not allow appraisers to go into the home but once new construction is ID'd they may monitor it until done. Few plans and specs are filed but builders tend to build similar structures. Custom not so much...

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I work for a county assessor doing ad valorem work and part of our job is defending / supporting assessed values. a coworker asked about one of their dilemmas. She's looking at a custom home that the owner has been very reticent for us to get inside, but we think we have the room count and type correct based on some plans. The home is built of insulated concrete forms (ICF) which do pop up in our market from time to time but are still not common. One issue we're running into is how many square feet the building really is (or should be). According to a contractor working on the site years ago, the walls are THREE FEET THICK! Typically residential properties are measured by their exterior dimensions, not interior like condos. Is there a regulatory standard - or industry convention at least - on how ICF properties are measured?

One contractor working on a site years ago said the walls are 3 feet thick, and you believe them as a source? Maybe they exaggerated or were drunk. I doubt the walls are 3 feet thick but even if they are, houses are typically measured from exterior.o

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Exterior measurements. If they balk at the sf, claiming that the walls are 3' thick, then offset it with the higher wall value and higher $/sf for this exceptional build he just admitted to you. :beer:

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I would measure exterior, do my best to get whatever data was available then wait for the phone to ring. Sounds like the type of guy who will let you know if you have over-estimated.

Communities differ but new builds are required to submit plans for approval from bldg/planning/zoning in my area. I can view them whenever needed.

Rlong

Professional Status
State
Colorado
ICF's are NOT three feet thick, usually 12" or a little less and are approximately the same as a typical 8" concrete (or block) foundation plus foam on both sides... which is the insulation advantage, INCLUDE IT. The outside dimensions of the improvement are the GLA, just like a frame house. Likely comparable to anything "super insulated". It's a dang quiet wall too!

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut

Does the dwelling have a C. of O. ?? If yes, your building dept. should have all the Plans & Spces. on file, I would reference those first to verify the structure. All said and done, Exterior measurements are good, when Entry is not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks