• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Residential to Commercial Appraising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXCBoy36

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Hello all,

Due to the declining real estate market in residential appraisals, I am considering getting started with Commerical Appraising, however I have no experience in commercial appraising so I am looking for some advice on switching from residential to commercial appraising.

:new_smile-l:

Scott Lanz

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Minnesota
There are quite a few threads on this topic in this section with some very good advice.

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Go for it. Just realize that everything you think you know...won't mean diddly. Like starting over. Some skills and techniques translate well but mostly you will be noobish. IMO When soliciting a mentor, I would stress an understanding of theory and skillsets as being something of value rather than your experience as an appraiser.

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Let me be the first to say...get in line. You and every other appraiser is saying to themselves "...geez this residential ship sure is sinking".

That being said if you want this be ready to sell yourself to your future mentor. Residential knowledge has little to do with what you are about to embark. Artemis is my new protege, he brought to the table excellent analytical skills, deep and impressive knowledge of excel, and a heck of a great work ethic.

Frankly I have my pick of potential residential people to mentor. I can only have three...but more importantly I only have time for one. So I look at it as an investment, who can I improve my business product with...in the shortest amount of time, with the largest return. My investment should mean that I should be able to increase my billings at least 4 times the cost of the investment over a long time period.

Point is CGs are in short supply...everyone else is in high supply. Make sure you have something to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks