• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Restaurant chains close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunch Hardtack

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/business/30restaurant.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Excerpt: "Several national restaurant chains were shuttered on Tuesday, possibly offering an early taste of what’s in store this year for businesses that depend on free-spending consumers whose budgets are now being squeezed.

The parent company of Bennigan’s, an Irish-themed bar and grill with about 200 sites across the country, filed for bankruptcy"

"This month, Steve & Barry’s, a fashion retailer that started an ambitious expansion plan in recent years, also sought bankruptcy protection after finding itself in a credit squeeze after defaulting on a loan."

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
STARBUCKS big losses _ slashing a third their Aussie stores. In NWA, all were built about 05-06 and will close a lot of them. Expect office supply places, furniture places, home improvement, etc...Even the small town cafes are hurting as there are few carpenter crews working and the ones that are bring their sack lunch.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Linens and Things is closing stores around here. Wal-mart has stopped expanding in the area, with two sites already rough-graded with plulmbing lines run.

Laura Goldware

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
This is what I've noticed:

Specialty Restaurant Group- American Café, Silver Spoon, L&N Seafood grills. 21 restaurants in the Southeast to close

Bennigan’s/Steak&Ale Tavern – 150 restaurants nationwide to close

Avado Brands Inc. - Don Pablo’s Mexican Restaurants and Hops Grillhouse and Brewery 83 restaurants sold under Chapter 11 proceedings.

Vicorp Inc – 56 Village Square and Baker’s Inn restaurants to close

Buffet Inc – 626 restaurants nationwide including Ryans Family Steakhouse, Old Country Buffet, and Tahoe Joe’s famous Steakhouse are potentially affected.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
It is not only the declining economy but mainly the cost of food. A typical restaurant needs to keep its food and labor under 60% to survive. Many casual theme restaurants try to keep food cost around 22-28% and a 25% labor.

Steak houses will run higher food costs, maybe 35-40% but their labor needs to be 20% or below.

Food costs have risen immensely with dairy products being the hardest hit followed by grain products.

I would not be surprised to see many pizza places and Italian restaurants close. With everyone paying $4/gal for gas and higher grocery store prices the restaurant sector Casual Dining is being affected as a percentage in sales declines more than the auto industry.

It is hard for Chili's to charge $10 for a burger fries and a drink when you can go to the dollar menu at McDonald's.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
Before everyone runs off on speculation, the restaurant chains listed here have been circling the drain for quite a while. These events were not prompted solely by "recent" events.

Vernon Martin

Professional Status
State
California
Has anyone seen any motion in the NNN-leased restaurant cap rates? I appraised a Chili's last year which was being bought on a 5% cap rate. Somehow, I don't think that could happen today.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Damn it, I never got a chance to try a Bennigan’s and now they are closing!

Old Country Buffet has been going down hill for the past year anyway.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Has anyone seen any motion in the NNN-leased restaurant cap rates? I appraised a Chili's last year which was being bought on a 5% cap rate. Somehow, I don't think that could happen today.

No movement that I can find, 1st quarter 2008 11.42% cap rate according to Realtytrac.

I can't believe a 5% for a Chili's.....amazing.

James Morris

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Michigan
I will miss Bennigan's Monte Cristo... nothing like a deep-fried sandwich...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks