• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Results of 8/6 FREAB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Another interesting meeting. Red Blumenstock was there and always a pleasure to talk to.

Some of my notes were pretty sketchy and I might have a couple items not quite right, but here is a brief of some of the happenings.

1) An elderly appraiser that was ordered to attend FREAB meetings as part of his discipline slept through most of it. No loud snoring though.

2) Tony Maffei from Lauderdale by the Sea didn't show up for his informal hearing and received a 6 month suspension and $3,000 fine. Crime: 2nd time for a complaint for taking the fee and not completing the appraisal.

3) An appraiser didn't complete the necessary CE to renew his license and turned himself in. He received 6 months probation and attend 2 more FREAB meeting during the next 6 months.

4) Lazaro O. Menendez from Miami: This one has been going on a very long time because Mr. Menendez keeps changing attorneys. Maybe he will get his at the next meeting.

5) Wade Hampton Singletary from Sanford: Signed as supervisor inspected when not inspected - misleading. $500 fine.

6) Wayne G. Yanchek from Palm Coast - this guy was unbelievable. He was there at the last meeting and had his Registered Trainee license suspended - was doing a ton of time share appraisals without a supervisor. This additional charge he voluntarily surrendered his license.

7) Thomas Flynn from Ft. Lauderdale (?): allowed another appraiser to do the appraisals and sign his name to them because she wasn't on the lenders approved list and he was. I forgot to write down the discipline but I do remember that there was a fine plus.

8) Frank Paul Giza from St. Augustine: he finally showed up after postponing previously, but left before his hearing because of the discussion at the start about whether the board had enough members there for a quarum (sp?). Postponed til next time.

9) Billie D. Walter from Tallahassee (?): Stipulation: $1,500 fine, attend 2 FREAB meetings. I didn't write down the reasons.

10) Lorenzo Navarro from Hollywood: Previous convictions not on application. $1,500 fine, 30 days suspension, attend 1 additional FREAB meeting, 90 days probation and find a pre-licensing course to adress the class about the importance of disclosing and correctly answering all application questions.

11) Jason D. Walker from Tallahassee: Postponed to next meeting.

There were a couple that I though the Board was pretty light on this time for what they had done.

It's also very amazing and scary regarding the new trainee wannabes with convictions that are now licensed. DUIs, Drug Dealers now out of prison, False IDs and Drug Paraphenelia, Insurance Fraud, Cocaine Possession & Grand Tehft/Auto, Assault/Battery & Reckless Driving, Cocaine Possession and Armed Robbery now out of prison.

Some of these convictions were a long time ago - when they were young and foolish - some were pretty recent.

The experience is always well worth the effort to attend.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Pam,

You take pretty good notes!

In addition to a $3,000 fine, Thomas Flynn was suspended for a month (there was discussion about the length of time for suspension). I believe attendance at meetings of the FREAB was also required.

I do not keep notes.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Thanks, Frank. I knew that was one that I thought got off lightly. There were 3 appraisals in the complaint signed like that with another 20+/- found in his office. During his informal hearing, the discussion came around to how some lenders charge the appraiser a fee to be on their approved list. He said that the lender would always call for the other appraiser, knowing full well that the other appraiser would be doing the appraisal and that he would sign it. It was even worse that he was fully aware of this, didn't even review the reports, and allowed her to sign his name as the appraiser. The 'impression' was that 20+/- reports that were done like this was barely beginning to add up to the real number of reports like this.

As far as I'm concerned, this is beyond 'misleading'; I think of it as fraud. I'm also aware that there are a very large amount of appraisals being done like this in certain shops.

Dennis J. Black ASA IFAS

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Pam,

Thanks for the update. Sorry I missed it, but as you can see in the other thread my schedule is packed and still doing appraisals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks