• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Retail Condo unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMF

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
I am working on an assigment for a retail condo unit and was wondering whether or not I should or could use the cost approach?

I was hoping some of you might have suggestions as I am fairly new to working on commercial appraisals.

Also any help, hints or suggestions on the best methods for the income approach would be appreciated. right now I have plenty of rental data, and all of the comparables are triple net and buildout is covered by the tenant.

Lost Cause

Professional Status
State
New York
You don't mention if this retail condo unit is a free-standing structure or an integral part of some larger structure. Should it be part of a larger structure, I would say the Cost Approach to Value is meaningless and cannot be reasonably developed.

Of course I am of the opinion that the Cost Approach has nothing whatsoever to do with Market Value anyway. However, even for those who disagree in general, it would be difficult to come up with a reasonable way to segregate the subject portion's cost/value from the overall structure's cost/value. I hope no one is going to suggest a pro-rata share of the overall replacement cost.

MNRural

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
The market wouldnt or couldnt consider the cost to build new, depending on the configuration of your subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks