• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Retrospective Appraisal for 1977

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
We discussed Retro's not to long ago in a
topic on here. Well today I come in to a message and called a fellow out in California. He needs an appraisal for 1977 on a 50 acre tract of land.

Two questions. Obviously the amount of work is going to be large. I am guessing 3 days unless I get really lucky. I am trying to decide on a proper fee. I am thinking at least double my regular rate and more like triple. Might even need to be a narrative depending on the data source I end up using or rather find.

Anyone familiar with the Federal Land Bank? I have heard that have records going way back on farm sales. If so this could be the source I need for land sales since they financed farms. Question is will they let me search their files??

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
I appraised ag land in the san joaquin valley at that time. Maybe I can help. I have appraised throughout northern california.

3 days? You boys don't just smoke corn husks down there, do ya'?

You've got some confirming to do.

A retainer of $ 2,000 with status and progress billing as required. Fee unknown, day rate.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
WOOPS, owner is CA but land is in Alabama. CA is bit out of my area of coverage. :)

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Contact an appraiser in Alabama (AppraiserUSA) and take an Appraisal Management Fee for finding the appraiser and reviewing the work. Your fee is whatever the appraiser charges plus your overhead for handling the appraisal.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
You just gave me a case of total remorse! I moved my business to my home in February of this year. Closed my office of 10 years....dumped tons of stuff including sold books back to 1972. Think I screwed up....huh?

Our MLS retains records for 5 years....that's as far back as I will go now. Knew there was a reason for retaining those sold books...just did'nt think 500 pounds was worth an appraisal fee.

A

Anonymous

If the area that you are appraising in has an active MLS the obvious place to start is the board office. I have done several retrospective reports with dates as far as 12 years back and have found most of the data in the board archives. The local assessor should also be a good info source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks