• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Retrospective Appraisal Of Small Apartment Building – Below Market Rents

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS111222333444

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Washington
Appraising a 15-unit apartment building for estate settlement. Date of death is very recent. Some of the contract rents are 20-30% below market (long term tenants). How to deal with this? Use market rent or adjust the cap rate for the upside potential income?

Appreciate the input.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Either way is fine (IMO). I think you'd have to provide some basis for making an adjustment to the cap rate if all your other properties were stabilized.
Personally, I'd conclude a stabilized value and then adjust for the stabilization costs.

Scott Cole

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Agree with Denis...either way will work.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Personally, I'd conclude a stabilized value and then adjust for the stabilization costs.

That's how I do it. That's how I think most investors do it.

PS111222333444

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
Either way is fine (IMO). I think you'd have to provide some basis for making an adjustment to the cap rate if all your other properties were stabilized.
So deduct for rent loss, redecoration and leasing fees? Any other stabilization costs that should be included?

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Are the majority of your comparables selling with below market rents?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Some of the contract rents are 20-30% below market (long term tenants).
Typically I see long term rents offered to those who stay. Raise the rent and they move. So using the contract rents and zero vacancy may come out about the same as raising to market rents and expecting some significant increase in vacancy. Just did one where the landlord does not raise rents. But he has went two years since anyone has moved out - He raises the rate when someone moves out but has such low turnover, and they also keep the units in good repair...net income is higher. The more frequent you have to reload with a new renter, the sooner you run into trashed properties.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
The more frequent you have to reload with a new renter, the sooner you run into trashed properties.
I'm sure the institutional investors will be glad to start implementing this particular strategy for their investments.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
So deduct for rent loss, redecoration and leasing fees? Any other stabilization costs that should be included?

An investor may require some additional inventive (EI, entrepreneurial incentive) for taking on the stabilization process itself, so that would be factored as an add-on to the expense.
If it is going to take more than a year, most would apply discounting to a multiyear stabilization analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks