• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Review Appraiser for Taxing Entity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramon A. Olivarez

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Texas
Situation: Licensed appraiser working for taxing entity.
Job Description: Ratio Studies, property value appeals, cost schedules

At times the licensed appraiser may have to review fee appraisals that have been presented as evidence of market value by a homeowner. If the licensed appraiser employed by the taxing entity reviews an appraisal submitted to him and he agrees or disagrees with the value, is he liable or come under Standard 3?

Typing this under influence of Nyquil, hope it makes sense.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I'll defer to the USPAP gurus answers, but I would think a Standard 3 compliant Review, with the Scope of that review fully written, would be what you should do.

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I an not a USPAP expert by any means and would never quote it. But I would consider if your work is for internal purposes only or if your opinions are distributed to the outside world. If it goes out then definately go with the standard 3 including all the limiting conditions.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I am no guru of USPAP (or anything else for that matter) but my understanding is that government entities are not subject to USPAP. That being the case, then anyone employed by a government entity would not be bound by any USPAP standard of practice.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Alejandro:

Check with your state board: they may have specific exception for State/County employees acting in the capacity of their state/county jobs.

Also you may be able to use the Jurisdictional Exception if such is used in your sate, KS has one pasted at the bottom of every ICS sheet printed....

And as of this next year I understand KS will no longer enforce Standards applicable to mass appraisal through the State Board 8O

(Got a notice to that effect and need to re-read it VERY carefully as it sort of appeared at first glance that a county employee was then held to NO standards? - and in a Tax Board appeal would be free to operate 'wild' while any licensed or certified appriaser would be held to USPAP?!?!?!

Gotta take another VERY close look at that one... :x

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
If the licensed appraiser employed by the taxing entity reviews an appraisal submitted to him and he agrees or disagrees with the value, is he liable or come under Standard 3?

It seems easier to comply than it is to understand when compliance is required. :D
In the normal course of your work are you responsible for complying with Std. 6? If yes, then you are likely responsible to comply with Std. 3 when you review.
If you have to follow USPAP, it will not matter whether the scope of your review goes far enough to agree or disagree with the conclusion. Any scope of review will be under Std 3.

There are several ways an appraiser can be responsible for complying with USPAP.
By law – This is the first pit stop for all questions. Does the state law bind all appraisers to USPAP all the time like Florida does? If your state law does not, then maybe you have an out.
By regulatory agency – Does your agency require USPAP compliance of you? Has the state licensing board issued a requirement for all appraiser to comply all the time?
By membership in an organization – Are you a member of IAAO or any other organization that requires its members to comply?
By representation – Are you or will you represent that the work is USPAP-compliant?
By agreement with client - probably does not apply to you.

The chief assessor or state board should know.

jtrotta

Would have to agree with Steve Santora for the most part, but I believe the key to this whole question is two fold;

1) Are you under employment (being paid real money) while providing the review :?:

2) If you are reviewing a Certified or Licensed appraiser's work and you disagree, IMHO you best be doing all that you are responsible for.

Quirkyness of this situation is; the homeowner decides to take this entire action to court (your review included) and includes everyone, their appraiser too; if you for one second think someone is NOT going to let the cat out of the bag in Court, you are sadly mistaken. If USPAP is our bible and we are suppose to follow it, I most asuredly would not let anyone else make that decision for me :!:
If you are being paid (real money), are they also covering your E & O insurance during the time of your employment :?: Have they provided you with everything they've said, In Writting :?:

Just recently have gone up against two Town Assessor's, one was smart and knows who I am, we came to an agreement via a significant (Very) reduction on my Clients assessment; now on the second case, I presented all the facts, but have a gut feeling some of these (about 26 pieces) are going to Court; I have all the data & basics set up, it should result in another victory, but the Judge could have a bad day; be p*ssed off at the wife; could have the crabbies; who knows - thats the risk.

8)

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
In Texas, there are significant governmental exemptions. Having once been an Assistant Chief Appraiser of an appraisal district, here's my 2 cents. If this is a quickie review (yes, in an appraisal district, time is of the essence), then look at it and make a decision, noting what problems or issues you have. If it goes to court, then you will have time to do a formal Standard 3 for your files so you can say "Yes, I completed a review in compliance with USPAP" if questioned. But, remember, on the stand, you will be supporting your value, not necessarily attacking the credibility of the other appraisal.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks