• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Reviewer Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finance101

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Texas
Hello All:

I am a certified appraiser, just recently was forced to work solo. I feel that Im competent and qualified however I also feel that even the best appraiser is in need of being reviewed. Since Im on my own and the company I was working for is no longer an option to review my work. Do you all know of any companies or appraisers that will review work in preferably Harris County-Houston Texas. Or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Finance 101

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Finance101

What do you mean by review your work. Seeing that your professional status is CG, why would anyone even need to review your work?

Maybe I misunderstand what your saying. Is it common practice for a CG firm appraisers to review each others work?

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Finance101

What do you mean by review your work. Seeing that your professional status is CG, why would anyone even need to review your work?

Maybe I misunderstand what your saying. Is it common practice for a CG firm appraisers to review each others work?

Probably more in need of someone to proof read reports, I would think.

SRQCUB

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Where I was trained we all reviewed each others work on commercials, abosultly loved it, no one fighted, discused theory, made pun of typographical errors, bad pictures, do you have anymore shots of a dumpster bin, your finger etc...

Mostly we put out reports that were clean, cause they got reviewed so much. Good luck Sir, I remember the old days, and wish them back.

LuckyLucy48

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Every report that goes out of our office gets reviewed by someone else. We have a good time with it also...plus it stimulates many conversations and learning opportunities.
Also, when we have a case going to litigation (often), two of us inspect and participate in the appraisal process just in case something happens to one of us on testimony day.
Having a second eye is always a good thing. Sometimes, as appraisers, we get so wrapped up in our writing .......and we understand what we are saying.......but the reader - who hasn't been involved in the process - might not.
Maybe you should consider combining forces with someone else who is solo??
T

Financially Feasible

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Our office has 6 CGs, 1 CR with CG-in-training (me - wahoo!) and 1 trainee. We also have 2 MAIs. There is not one report that goes out of this office that is not reviewed by at least one, if not both, of the MAIs. When one of the MAIs does a report, the other reviews it. It is extremely good appraisal practice to have every report reviewed before it goes out. Of course, this is not mandatory, but it helps keep mistakes (especially stupid ones!) down to a minimum. Obviously, this is more difficult to do if you're a one-person shop (you would have to outsource your review functions which, IMNSHO, is a breach of the confidentiality law of USPAP).

Just my .02.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
IMNSHO, is a breach of the confidentiality law of USPAP).

Just my .02.

Ed,

I disagree with you. I can think of many professions with stiff confidentiality rules where as the professional confers with other peers or professionals on what ever it is they need to confer about. All are bound by the rules and laws.

Think about lawyers, doctors, and others. Even USPAP believes this is a valid and necessary practice among appraisers. Funny how they attempt to let you do this but limit it to only professional groups such as AI.

FTR, It does not say anything about Appraisal companies! How are you all circumventing USPAP(a practice I happen to condone in regards to peer review)!

Financially Feasible

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Carnivore,

I certainly understand and respect your point. Many aspects of USPAP are like tightrope walking and I think that this is one of them. Here's my reasoning:

Take my office for example (we'll call it ABC Corp). If our client hires ABC corp to do an appraisal, I get the order and complete the report, then I let someone at ABC corp review my report, then there's no violation (again, IMO) since all work is being done by ABC Corp. However, if ABC Corp is a 1-person shop and I outsource my review function to XYZ Corp where I give them a copy of my appraisal to review (which has certain items of highly confidential information)... then wouldn't that be a violation of the Confidentiality laws of USPAP?

If I'm wrong, please, tell me! :icon_mrgreen: However, even if I'm right/wrong/indifferent about my interpretation of USPAP in this area, I would not feel comfortable outsourcing my review functions to anyone outside of my company. If you really need/want to have your work reviewed, go work for a company with more than one person!

Now, regarding confering with my fellow professionals: this is an absolute MUST if you're going to survive in the appraisal universe! Info/idea exchanges are paramount in our business. There's hardly a day that goes by where I don't talk to my appraisal cohorts regarding one idea or another. However, I am always careful to never disclose confidential information.

Anyway, I give the OP credit for wanting his reports to be reviewed to ensure another level of accuracy. :clapping:

Lost Cause

Professional Status
State
New York
If I'm wrong, please, tell me! :icon_mrgreen: However, even if I'm right/wrong/indifferent about my interpretation of USPAP in this area, I would not feel comfortable outsourcing my review functions to anyone outside of my company. If you really need/want to have your work reviewed, go work for a company with more than one person!
OK, you are wrong. I don't know anyone who outsources their work to be "pre-reviewed" as the OP suggested, but anyone accepting such an assignment would be equally bound by client confidentiality as the appraiser who wrote the report. One might consider that there could be an obligation to inform the client that, in order to insure competence, they may be having the report reviewed by a third party before submitting it to the client.

I think you could find a qualified person to outsource such pre-reviews to, but I suspect it would be prohibitively costly.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
OK, you are wrong. I don't know anyone who outsources their work to be "pre-reviewed" as the OP suggested, but anyone accepting such an assignment would be equally bound by client confidentiality as the appraiser who wrote the report. One might consider that there could be an obligation to inform the client that, in order to insure competence, they may be having the report reviewed by a third party before submitting it to the client.

I think you could find a qualified person to outsource such pre-reviews to, but I suspect it would be prohibitively costly.

JH,

according to an attorney client of mine, he said to be cautious when extending the veil of confidentiality. First, we must have the clients permission(sounds easy to do, but it is dangerous because of the potential of a misunderstanding). I also see a need to make sure whoever it is extended to is governed by some for of law or regulation.

What I did not ask him was in regard to confering with peers. Next time I speak with him I will try and remember to ask.

The USPAP confidentiality rule is poorly written. It simply does not address the needs of the industry. FTR, I have always been unhappy with this rule as it is written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks