• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Revoked & appraising in another state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Mitch Weiss the Associated Press reporter ([email protected]) is seeking information on appraisers who have been revoked, suspended or voluntarily surrendered their license in one state and yet are still appraising a another state

or

were revoked, suspended or voluntarily surrendered their license in one state
and then moved to another state and became licensed there.

If you know of such situations email Mitch or you cam PM or email me and I will get it too him without your name.

If you THINK you know about a case, how about checking it out at the ASC website before you send in a name.

http://www.ASC.gov/content/category1/standardSearches.aspx?queryType=7

Last edited:

Oregon Doug

Professional Status
General Public
State
Oregon
Not supposed to happen (I'm not saying it doesn't, though.)

I can only speak to Oregon. In order to become lic/cert here - one starts out through the registered assistant program or via resiprocity from another state. If it's from another state, we do verify the credentials, if via the trainee process, one must disclose any such prior action. If in either case, it's determined that the applicant failed to disclose the facts (we do verify)- that's cause revocation. Period, end of discussion.

Oregon Doug

Lobo Fan

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
There is a guy from Florida that had his license revoked and is now running a Skippy AMC. Guaranteed values, comp checks, the works.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
It does happen. I have ASC proof of three here in NC.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Donald Haynes, NC and SC

Revoked in SC and currently suspended in NC. Was working up until recent suspension.

Studeman From Florida.

Revoked in Florida, reported to ASC per Frank, ASC still shows him active in 3 states.

Another NC lady, revoked in NC....went straight across the SC line and opened an office. They shut her down AFTER she was reported to SC board.

Look them up on ASC.

It dang sure does happen.....end of story.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I really think your reporter should check out that revoked Florida appraiser that is running a national AMC now, comp checking predetermined value skippy appraisers only.

Last edited:

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
not so simple.

Not supposed to happen (I'm not saying it doesn't, though.)

I can only speak to Oregon. In order to become lic/cert here - one starts out through the registered assistant program or via resiprocity from another state. If it's from another state, we do verify the credentials, if via the trainee process, one must disclose any such prior action. If in either case, it's determined that the applicant failed to disclose the facts (we do verify)- that's cause revocation. Period, end of discussion.

Oregon Doug
That's great Doug. Now what about someone already licensed in your state and another state. Would the revocation/voluntary surrender on the other state cause any automatic action on the license in Oregon, or would a separate proceeding be required based on actions that occurred in Oregon?

It is a bit cumbersome, but I would think a separate evaluation would be needed by each state board. Laws vary from state to state. They could have been revoked or done a voluntary surrender for something that is not a violation in the other state; there is not one set of rules. Also, many will claim some boards operate in a less than ethical manner in handling discipline. If one board committed an abuse of power, and revoked the license of an appraiser to eliminate their competitor for business, an automatic revocation by another state would compound the injustice.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Sending a PM to UC about one who dropped his license in lieu of sanction in AR. He is (I presume) still an appraiser in OK. Believe he also quit MO.

He is the worlds greatest poultry farm appraiser...according to his testimony...because FSA taught him how....yeah, right.

sample? He did not use any Hmong poultry farm sales (84 in 3 yr period in one MLS alone) because ALL Hmong poultry farm sales were not 'arm's length. Hmong were not 'informed buyers'....never mind several of them who owned farms were also RE agents. Never mind he used a COMP that involved a Hmong buyer BECAUSE HE DIDN'T RECOGNIZE THE NAME AS A HMONG NAME.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
There are appraisers with their license revoked that are still appraising in nonmandatory states. There is nothing the Department of Licensing can do as long as they appraiser properties that do not require a license to appraise. State boards and the investigative arm of the Department of Licensing are sources of this type of information.

Brian Weaver

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Illinois
Illinois Statute:

Having been disciplined by another state, the District of Columbia, a territory, a foreign nation, a governmental agency, or any other entity authorized to impose discipline if at least one of the grounds for that discipline is the same as or the equivalent of one of the grounds for which a licensee may be disciplined under this Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks