• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Road through property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Coble

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I’m appraising a manufactured home in a rural area on 5.25 acres with a public road running through it. Any ideas on how I should approach this?

Attachments

• polkpa.jpg
    polkpa.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 50

Joe Milla

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Put up a toll booth

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Not sure what you mean exactly. You would approach this the way you approach all of your appraisal assignments.

Zoning requirements aside, it looks to me like you have some excess land that my not be very useful. But the home site seems to function like every other home site I have seen on the side of a country road.

Are there bigger problems than this that I am not seeing? Maybe I need to go back and look at the picture again.

Beth Coble

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Does this help? Anyone .... help.... please.

Attachments

• Polkparichards.jpg
    Polkparichards.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 25

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
You have one of the two below....that you will need to determine.

The Highest and Best Use might be to sell off the parcel if legally permissible, that would be excess land. The questions to ask would include utilities, zoning, etc.

If it is not legally permissible and physically possible then you have surplus land which most likely has little value if any.

surplus land
Land not necessary to support the highest and best use of the existing improvement but, because of physical limitations, building placement, or neighborhood norms, cannot be sold off separately. Such land may or may not contribute positively to value and may or may not accommodate future expansion of an existing or anticipated improvement. See also excess land.

excess land
In regard to an improved site, the land not needed to serve or support the existing improvement. In regard to a vacant site or a site considered as though vacant, the land not needed to accommodate the site's primary highest and best use. Such land may be separated from the larger site and have its own highest and best use, or it may allow for future expansion of the existing or anticipated improvement. See also surplus land.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
After the H&BU analysis Tim suggests, simply find sales of similar split parcels, improved or vacant with similar H&BU and note the difference in sales price versus contiguous sites. Go back 5 years+ if necessary and compare properties from the same time period to determine the effect on value of the sites with an "orphaned portion". Happens quite a bit when new roads are built or old ones "realigned". I hope your fee covers the necessary analysis.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Yup, whats the H&BU of the underlying dirt, then dirt + improvements!

Only other piece of advice I'd pursue is finiding out if the roadway impacts any environmental issues - can the septic and or well be rebuilt in the event of damages or a need to repair.... or is that thing on public water and sewer?

may not minimums unless grandfathered... I'd sure check that isssue as part of my H&BU analysis!

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Dang, that parcel split by the road is a perfect place for a billboard or cell tower. Why not? Not gonna cause any more external depreciation to a trailer on an arterial road. LOL

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
hot dog stand, bait shop, drive in bank on theat bit of extra ground.

As other have said it come down to HBU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks