• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Robots Won't Just Take Our Jobs – They'll Make The Rich Even Richer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
Robotics and artificial intelligence will continue to improve – but without political change such as a tax, the outcome will range from bad to apocalyptic

What’s different this time is the possibility that technology will become so sophisticated that there won’t be anything left for humans to do. What if your ATM could not only give you a hundred bucks, but sell you an adjustable-rate mortgage? While the current rhetoric around artificial intelligence is overhyped, there have been meaningful advances over the past several years. And it’s not inconceivable that much bigger breakthroughs are on the horizon. Instead of merely transforming work, technology might begin to eliminate it. Instead of making it possible to create more wealth with less labor, automation might make it possible to create more wealth without labor.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/02/robot-tax-job-elimination-livable-wage

Back in '88 my co-worked predicted ATMs would eventually complete both loan applications and appraisals for at least equity loans....

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
but without political change such as a tax, the outcome will range from bad to apocalyptic

You think a tax of any kind will save jobs? Like a minimum wage of $15 will save jobs?

Only the really stupid believe that claptrap. :)

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Saying you're 400 years old, Howard?
:leeann2:

Most of that time I was nowhere.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
You think a tax of any kind will save jobs? Like a minimum wage of $15 will save jobs?

Only the really stupid believe that claptrap. :)

What an absurd concept. Where have you been for the last 400+/- years?

Guys, I know you may find this hard to believe....
But I didn't write the article..... :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

By the way, did you notice what I lighlighted in red?????
And....
Did you read my comment????? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Robotics and artificial intelligence will continue to improve – but without political change such as a tax, the outcome will range from bad to apocalyptic

What’s different this time is the possibility that technology will become so sophisticated that there won’t be anything left for humans to do. What if your ATM could not only give you a hundred bucks, but sell you an adjustable-rate mortgage? While the current rhetoric around artificial intelligence is overhyped, there have been meaningful advances over the past several years. And it’s not inconceivable that much bigger breakthroughs are on the horizon. Instead of merely transforming work, technology might begin to eliminate it. Instead of making it possible to create more wealth with less labor, automation might make it possible to create more wealth without labor.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/02/robot-tax-job-elimination-livable-wage

Back in '88 my co-worked predicted ATMs would eventually complete both loan applications and appraisals for at least equity loans....

In '83 I was working for a Bank just as they were adopting ATM technology. Right out of the gate they were talking about how they could cut down on the number of tellers and paper to handle. The goal was to pretty much ban everyday transactions from the bank floor, and cut the proof dept by at least half. It would appear the mission was successful.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Most of that time I was nowhere.
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I did not have to be there to be aware of what occurred. Just in case you were unaware, the printing press has been around even longer than that.

Did you read my comment?????
Yes, but unnecessary. Doesn't change the premise or make it any less ridiculous

Right out of the gate they were talking about how they could cut down on the number of tellers and paper to handle.
The actual real benefit is reducing the number of branches/brick and mortar locations which has only been partially realized so far

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
History is written by the winners they say.
But it can still be instructive.

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Robots already do take jobs away. It's money that will become obsolete; that is if our society evolves into a commie, Marxist world. The only thing that would be worth anything is art and music and there are many people who can't do that or have the desire. We don't see robots running in the streets yet, except self-driving cars and the occasional coffee shop or vending machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks