• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Rural Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSBRose21

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Wisconsin
I would like to know what an appraiser looks for while doing an appraisal for a USDA Guaranteed Loan. Right now the house has no furnace, no water heater, and a bad roof. These items are planning to be financed into the loan provided the appraisal is high enough. My question is how do you perform an appraisal on this? Is the value an as improved or as is now?

conwayblue

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arkansas
USDA loans use FHA standards. Appraisal would be completed "subject to completion" of the furnace, water heater, and roof. The home would be valued as if the repairs were already completed. Once repaired the appraiser would complete a final inspection.

If you want to borrow the money to complete the repairs it may be better to look at a FHA 203k loan.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
USDA has a similar "rehab" program to FHA's 203k. I can't remember what they call it.

David Beasley

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Appraisal would be completed "subject to completion" of the furnace, water heater, and roof.

Tread lightly with this advice. "Subject to completion" on anything but proposed new construction in these parts will get an appraisal kicked back for correction. I would think it should be submitted "subject to repairs" and the value opinion would then be "as repaired".

This is because of everything that follows "subject to completion" there on page 2: subject to completion per *plans and specifications*... So IMHO, 'subject to completion' has nothing to do with "repairs" but has everything to do with appraising a property from the plans and specs when the improvements don't exist yet. According to the original post, the home exists, and cannot be subject to completion, but it's missing amenities can be called for as subject to repair (based on the hypothetical condition that the repairs have been completed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks