• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Rural or Suburban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXCBoy36

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I am looking for some feedback. This property is located in the mountains in a large subdivision that is very populated with other similar homes with similar lot sizes (1-3 Acres) with similar panoramic views. This neighborhood is typically considered a Mountain Suburban neighborhood, but a reviewer who has never seen this neighborhood is calling it Rural.

This property is equipped with a Domestic Well, Local Utility and Propane System along with a Septic System.

I completely disagree....this neighborhood has all of the typical attributes with numerous homes in this subd that you would normally find in any neighborhood....the fact that it is in the mountains...is irrelevant.

But, to be fair, I called some other local appraisers to make sure my mind set was normal and they all confirmed that this particular neighborhood would be called a Suburb.

I am curious to hear some feedback.:new_2gunsfiring_v1:

The Dog

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
My neck of the woods, no city service is RURAL. You describe well, septic indicates rural. 1-3 acres indicates rural. I would call it rural.

Suburban is within urban growth limits on some services (water, sewer etc) in some combinations.

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
Contiguous to the a larger Metropolitan area would be Suburban.Judging from the size and population you describe it seems to be Suburban.So now you have two different answers.Most rteviewers that are out of the area you know consider most small communities rural,Heck , they think all of Kansas is rural. Utilities do not necessarily indicate Rural of Suburban.You now the drill , if you stand naked on the porch does a neighbor call the cops ?, thats Suburban.Now get ready for the trashing we shall receive , amen..

The Dog

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Contiguous to the a larger Metropolitan area would be Suburban.Judging from the size and population you describe it seems to be Suburban.So now you have two different answers.Most rteviewers that are out of the area you know consider most small communities rural,Heck , they think all of Kansas is rural. Utilities do not necessarily indicate Rural of Suburban.You now the drill , if you stand naked on the porch does a neighbor call the cops ?, thats Suburban.Now get ready for the trashing we shall receive , amen..

Now I was not going to say that, but it is a valid test. 1-3 acres you can stand on the porch and do your business uninterrupted. SO ITS RURAL CORRECT (GRIN)

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Sometimes the distinction between RURAL and SUBURBAN is not crystal clear. In my market there are many homes that have septic tanks, wells and small acreage sites, but they are within the City of Nashville.

Fannie says

a “suburban” location relates to the area adjacent to a city

How far away do you have be to qualify as not being "adjacent?" I don't know.

Sometimes a simple X in a box is not enough to communicate to the intended users the nature of the location. I have often used a statement that the property location exhibits some rural characteristics, but is considered suburban because of the proximity to a city.

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
Now I was not going to say that, but it is a valid test. 1-3 acres you can stand on the porch and do your business uninterrupted. SO ITS RURAL CORRECT (GRIN)
If your neighbor has good eye site you still end up in the slammer ,Suburban , right??:rof:

Bearslide

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Agree with Greg on this one. We have numerous areas close to major throughfares, shopping, amenities, that happen to have some acreage and have well and septic. I classify them as suburban - but always with an explanation that they should more properly be classified "rurban" - neither rural or urban, vacant land being developed.

It is your call - but best to explain it.

Last edited:

The Dog

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Still Rural

If your neighbor has good eye site you still end up in the slammer ,Suburban , right??:rof:

My county is over 75% retired. So odds of good eagle eyes are slim, therefore, still RURAL

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I would probably call this area Suburban -- but that's what I call most of the subdivisions in the Evergreen/Conifer area.

In non subdivision mountain properties, I'll generally go with Rural; but the distance to comparables is a major factor. If many of the comps are 5 miles or more from the subject, I'll generally call it rural.

I call Genesee/Lookout Mountain Suburban; mountain subdivisions in Park or Gilpin Counties, Rural.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Is there pizza delivery or do you have to drive and pick it up? As good a test as any. If the need for pizza delivery is there, the H&BU of pizza delivery business is easy, and suggests suburban characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks