• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Same name comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
What type of comments (if any) do you put in the appraisal report when the buyer, borrower, or owner of the subject property has the same last name as you?

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
My last name is Johnson Smith - seperate them and you can't get more common! I have never really thought about it but if you are concerned, I would just add a line in your addendum that you have no personal relationship with the other parties.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
What type of comments (if any) do you put in the appraisal report when the buyer, borrower, or owner of the subject property has the same last name as you?

Because it is uncommon, I do make a comment in the event any party to a transaction, client or intended user happens to share my surname.

"To my knowledge, xxxxx Gregoire is not related by blood or marriage to me"

I've only used that twice in 30 years.

Susanne

Freshman Member
Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
Our appraisers put a comment stating that they are not related to the borrower or seller if the last names are the same.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I have been asked one time, to my recollection, regarding a possible familial relationship with anyone associated with a transaction. Which, of course, raised the question "What difference does it make?" No one has ever asked me if I was friends with any party to a transaction.

H

Hall McClenahan

"What difference does it make?"

Now there is a loaded question if I ever saw one. That should be the title of it's own thread.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I did that once with a borrower named Shields for H & R Block and they basically called me a liar...never met him before and only have met his wife since because she runs the local dollar general store (my favorite store btw - so much easier to shop than Wally world. can i really say that from Benton co., Ar???)

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
If you mention that, I probably won't get the loan!

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
It's a valid question for this topic, I think. We sign the certification attesting to no bias with regard to the property or parties and no, or the identified, interest in the property or parties.

Is the concern of the client that they have an internal policy that an appraiser cannot appraise a property in which a relative of the appraiser has an interest? If so, every report should include the certification that the appraiser is not related to any party associated with transaction. Last names are meaningless and are not, of themselves, indicative of any familial relationship between two people.

For example, my wife and I have different last names. She wanted to keep her maiden name as she was an established professional with name identity. What difference did it make to me if she took my last name or not? Suppose we had a kid with my last name and that kid was an appraiser and performed an appraisal on a property my wife owned. No common surname to indicate any relationship. Would the client be concerned?

I think many of us have much better relationships with non-family members of our social circles than with most family members and, if we were inclined to let relationships affect our unbiased opinions, there should be concern about any possible relationship between an appraiser and other parties associated with the transaction. Oh wait, the concern exists. That's why we sign the aforementioned certification.

So, again, what difference does it make if I share a surname with someone who is a party to the transaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks