• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Satelite Internet Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy Williams

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Just was wondering if anybody uses DSS Direct Satelite for your high speed internet connection. We do not have DSL or cable modem at this time or in the near future in out area. What are the pros and cons?? Thanks Cathy Williams

jtrotta

Cathy

we don't have that option here either and have considerd a Dish set up, the only thing that holds me back is the Weather; it would seem logical that under Non-Perfect weather conditions, some sommunication problems will occur. So, for the time being I'm just stikin with what I have now (dial up) and hope that sometime in the near future things will change. Our cable service has recently been taken over and their tryin to get everything up to speed and have been promoting a direct cable access to the internet - will see :mrgreen:

:ph34r:

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I've installed a few of those systems for friends and the results have been mixed. Some systems still required a land (terrestrial) telephone line connection for uploading, then the satellite signal provides the downloads. Most of the providers are now trying to provide bisynchronis capabilities in this regard whereby all communication (upload/download) is handled through the satellite. If you search the web you'll find some good forums where customers are talking about their experiences. You'll find a wide variety of satisfaction levels among satellite customers. Most all satellite contracts don't guarantee a particular connection speed so you're really stuck if you sign a typical two-year contract and find out your connection speeds aren't that great. Make sure your satellite dish is very carefully aligned-- it's easy to do but can be the basis for all sorts of problems if not done correctly. I bought a strength meter myself that has a needle indicator as well as an audible signal and it makes it very easy to align the dish.

Tejus

Professional Status
State
Texas
Cathy, I'm in the same boat. I considered a satellite, but after investigating it I declined. The dish nuisance and additional wiring were factors. If I recall correctly, the dish worked in most weather conditions, but the upload speed was not impressive.

The latest internet connection I've heard about is through your power lines. They claim 4x faster than a dial up modem. Since my 56k modem only connects at 28k max, a 200k connection looks very attractive for $30/mo. The system is in beta test, commercially available later this year. If available and it works, I'll sign up and drop my current ISP.

cheers.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Generally speaking, satellite is no match for DSL or Cable high speed internet access. Uploading is quite slow and there is considerable latency. It should be better than dial-up, but a good installation is key.

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
1.2 megabits per second

I am using two-way direcway satellite connection. The following are test results from about two minutes before this post.

Your raw speed was 1190812.11 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

1.2 megabits per second
How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

145.4 kilobytes per second
The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

7 seconds
The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

Rating

Compared to all connection types worldwide, yours is fantastic

Comparisons

It is just shy of a T1

Overall, I am pretty happy with the satellites setup. $60.00 per month always connected.

tr

jtrotta

Terry

are you atop a mountain :question: 7 seconds to send a file, whats that like - takes me no less than 20 minutes at dial up speed :mrgreen: how depressing is that :angry: do I feel like I'm in the dino sour age, sheesh. Ifn I could work sometime in this era/century, I'd actually have time to take some classes on furthering my computer knowledge; some more on law; or the ever exciting, but blatently misunderstood USPAP.

7 seconds / my oh my - 7 seconds, how depressing, oh well here's to the future of techno :beer:

:ph34r:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
My brother has been using a dish for a couple of years and it works just fine. Give him a call if you want verification of service and costs. Terry Pixley, SRA @ 719 495 3080.

Can't believe anyone still uses dial up. I am using Adelphia cable and most of my files now go in less than 15 seconds since I got the .pdf distiller to work properly. Cable modem and service for $59 a month. Always on line and both computers can access on line at the same time.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
atc, thanks..... :D I called Direcway and signed up today. Hoping everything will work out O.K.

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
jtrotta,

hey, the technology is out there. you just to lay out a fraction of the megabucks you have been harvesting to get the megabytes to sow for the new harvest that is soon to ripen.

You would probably want to upgrade your entire system. Don't try to shortcut the technology.

I have had only one outage in 6 months and that was when that huge winter storm hung over the NE coast.
Apparently that is where the uplinks are located. It downtime was about 4 hours

When I upgaded my system I spent $1100.00 for everything I needed. The sat dish cost $500.00 but it is monthly with no interest.

Just think of all the time you would have for watching the puckers on TV. tr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks