• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Satellite Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
Where I live people often ask me if I have a telephone 'Out There' I do.

And the best I can squeeze out of it 19.2kps.

Does anyone reading this have any experience with satellite internet connections?

Speed
Reliability
Particular Vendor
Cost
Practicality

I know I can find a jillion links on the www but it is allways good to hear it first hand.

Thanks Terry

jim farrelly

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
just picked up wireless internet via sprint pcs. easy to use, easy to set up, and decent speed. faster than 56k, slower than dsl. drawback might be location. im in chicago metro area and works great. doesnt work as well when i go 90 miles north to the land of cheese. but, is functional.

jim farrelly

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
btw, in this market the cost is $60 a month for unlimited access

graindart

Professional Status
State
Montana
I think Jim's talking about Sprint PCS Vision service. Unfortunately Sprint isn't available in Montana, at least not around here. We have Verizon, and they have a similar internet access network in some markets, but aren't slated to upgrade the Montana networks for about another 2-3 years, so speeds are 14.4k (about 1/4 the speed of a normal landline modem).

As for satellite systems, I haven't owned one, thankfully I live in a city with cable internet available. I did do a lot of research back a year or two, before cable was available, and I've talked to a couple of homeowners that are located out in the booneys (when I was appraising their homes). Both of them had Direcway systems and said that they worked real well, with minimal problems. Direcway is the 2 way version of Hughes DirecPC offering, thereby not needing a phoneline at all. Besides Direcway, the only other 2 way satellite system that I know of is Starband. Either way, you're looking at about $400-$600 starup fees and $50-$80 / month fees. Kind of pricey, but I'd do it if my only other choice was 19k over a telephone line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks