• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Save those of old Marshall & Swifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I have never seen this mentioned here, so I thought I would suggest this to any potential field reviewers out there. I have found that my laziness about throwing out the old M & S Handbooks have saved me on field reviews. I have been able to utilize the correct year cost numbers that usually destroy the original appraisal's cost approach. It reduces the argument that I did not have the correct years cost figures. If you are reviewing past years MH appraisals it is invaluable. It is easier to prove that the 1,200 SF MH does not cost $63 to build if you have the actual page that year that shows $35.89 to include in your report. If you have Alamode, you can scan the page into your cost form 1007 (digital).

Heck, I don't use over$60 per foot on most traditional brick homes I appraise in the area unless it is a true custom home in upscale areas.

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
The latter 60's models might even be worth some a little money.

That is of course prior to the Civil Rights Act of '68 (?) when M & S had a section to apply a factor to the ethnic neighborhoods--particularly applicable to the Boston and San Francisco areas (and many others) at that time.

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
True, Verne ..

The truth has gone out'n the windows .. it's now external obsolescence due to the present economic factors. In truth, nuttin's changed ..

David C. Johnson

<span style='color:darkblue'>Tim,

For much the same reasons (i.e., review work), I would very much like to see all past issuances / versions of USPAP available on the Foundation's website. Currently, only the current version is, and the preceding one is (unless this has changed without my knowledge in the last couple of months).

I'd sure like to see all of them archived and easily available to everyone at that one convenient location. I am convinced such should happen, and ultimately will happen (partly because it seems to be such a common sense, non-contentious "no brainer" -- while I've personally not heard this suggested before for some reason).

But the sooner, the better.

dcj</span>

Steve Owen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Missouri
I have all my old M & S pages, but use them for a different reason. Sometimes I am asked to value a property as of a date in the past. I used to pull the old pages, but...

FYI. There is a page of comparative cost multipliers that can be used for the same purpose. It is currently on F-9 in the Residential Cost Handbook and goes back about as far as any appraiser would ever want to.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I wondered when anyone was going to mention that....we have used that many times. It's easy to skim M & S and not make yourself read it totally, including the sections you don't ordinarily use!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks