• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I just saw on the news where an elderly man got taken advantage of by an unlicensed building contractor on a $40k job. The work is shoddy.

The way he did it is by getting the homeowner to pull the building permit. Code enforcement said don't ever pull the building permit as a homeowner. Always get a licensed contractor to pull the permit. Get a copy of their bond too.

He's blessed because he is a disabled veteran and some good licensed contractors are going to fix it free. They are volunteering.

Last edited:

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
The worst "builder" in this area does this exact same thing. He lost his contractor license and now has the owner pull the permits and he works as a "consultant" to the owner claiming to save the owner big $$ using him instead of the 'high priced' contractors.

Last house I appraised for refi that he was involved with was new construction but he had a used, 15 yr. old furnace installed, three different types of windows (vinyl DH, wd, csmt, and wd DH) that were bought at a used material store, the floor in the living room bounced like a trampoline when you walked across it (and I'm not that heavy), etc. Pretty sad. The owner hadn't even noticed the three different types of windows, much less that they were used.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I just saw on the news where an elderly man got taken advantage of by an unlicensed building contractor on a $40k job. The work is shoddy.

The way he did it is by getting the homeowner to pull the building permit. Code enforcement said don't ever pull the building permit as a homeowner. Always get a licensed contractor to pull the permit. Get a copy of their bond too.

He's blessed because he is a disabled veteran and some good licensed contractors are going to fix it free. They are volunteering.

2 things I hate about stories like this.....

1. Elderly gets taken advantage of....
2. Elderly is younger than me.....

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Yeah, there's nothing quite like the first time the kid behind the counter at Wendy's asks you if you want the "senior" coffee.

When I found out it was only 10 cents I said 'Hell Yes!'

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
What we have down here is the use of contracting laws to protect local contractors from competition. When the contractor is accused of something, it is the 'good 'ol boy' protection system. Licensing is not necessarily the answer.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I don't understand totally. I know code enforcement here told the elderly man and the news that the elderly man had no recourse because he pulled the permit, which the unlicensed contractor convinced him to do.

He is just blessed that some licensed contractors are volunteering to fix it.

If the contractor would have been licensed and bonded and pulled the permit, it would have been different.

Last edited:

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
What code enforcement says and what the courts say are two entirely different things. If a 'contractor', licensed or not, enters into a contract, that contract is legally binding. The failure to complete leads to a lawsuit. Now, if the contractor has no assets, well, yeah, no real recourse. In the case of assets, the homeowner can recover.

Reactions: Eli
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks