• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Scanner problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Ross

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I have a Microtex v6upl scanner that I am trying to use with the Alamode software. It won't work in the mapping section (it freezes up the computer). It will work in the photo area but poorly. It takes me all afternoon to scan in 10 or so pages, that have files small enough to send and are ledgable. I don't know if I have a bad scanner or if the Alamode program and the scanner don't see eye to eye.
Does anyone have idea about the above, it driving me nuts.
I am using windows 98 and only 64MB of ram.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
<span style='color:brown'>A la mode is a memory hog....and yours is limited. Do all your scanning into a file folder and save them as jpgs. Then, instead of scanning into alamode, just "read" the jpg file.</span>

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
That's what I do. Most real estate programs need all the memory they can get. I just save it in a file and import the jpeg or bitmap.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Dennis,

I don't use A la Mode anymore but I always use an HP scanner. It seems that they are the only ones that have a Scan to Clipboard function. So whatever I scan, it gets scannned into the clipboard and then pasted into my appraisal program which is Toolbox.

Ben

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
If it is the lack of RAM, memory is dirt cheap right now. I just priced some for a friend and local computer store and 64 meg dimm was only $16 and 128 megs was only $29. It will also make you computer noticeably (but not dramatically) faster. Plus it is simple to install, no need not to upgrade.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Yeah, but make sure you get the correct kind of ram. I agree with Jeff, it is the cheapest upgrade/repair you can do.

Professional Status
State
Florida
I have the same MicrTech Scanner and a la mode's Athena. Had trouble getting the scanned image into the report using TWAIN. Finally learned it's better to scan the image to somewhere (like D:) and in Athena use the Disk as your source instead of TWAIN.

Tom

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I use Corel Photohouse to scan in all my documents. Before scanning, you have the option of scanning different documents....i.e. Photos, line art, newspaper, color, black and white etc.

After you scan the document in, save it to a file. While in PhotoHouse (or just about any other picure publishing program) you can reduce the size of the file, edit it, etc. Then cut/past or go into your appraisal program to the page you want to place it on and insert.

Good Luck

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
In stead of scanning I now stick the documents under a bright light and take a picture of it with my digital camera. It is fast & it works great. I've never had any document that I could not do this with and they are all perfectly legible. Works great for maps, other pictures, contracts, etc. I load the pictures into wintotal my normal manner. Then stick the pictures onto whatever page you want.

Dennis Ross

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
:lol: Thanks for all the help about my scanner proplem. I don't know why I didn't think of asking for help at this forum before.
I purchased more ram today but have not installed it yet. Scanning to a disk also sounds like a good idea as is the cut and paste method outlined above. I can't wait to try and take a photo of my documents and enter them into the report. If this works im going to throw the scanner against a block wall and forget everything I ever knew about scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks