• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

School Teachers - Universally Annoying ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here's my rant for this week......in 25 years I have never spoke to a school teacher that didn't break chops
with appointment times, they are all identical clones of one another, each one says exactly the same thing "I'm a school teacher, I can't take any time off !" (is this phrase in the teachers manual ? on their union cards ?, maybe posted on their foreheads or school bulletin board ? Perhaps there's a course in teachers college called "breaking chops 101", how to annoy people who want to come to your house during the day (plumbers, electrians, repairmen, delivery people, appraisers, etc.)

When I hear this univeral phrase I have to think....your off all the damn time, what do you mean, I can't take any time off ?!... Or, since you have taken so much time off already, it's starting to look bad...., or, since I'll be off all next week, I have no intention of making an appointment with you during my break, I'd rather bust your chops and make your come to my house during rush hour.

Then when you arrive in the late afternoon they are lounging around the house with hubby in tow getting ready to go to the gym (which one pulled on me today).

Give me a break !

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Rantin' Joe!

You just figured that out? Can tell what grade they teach: lil ones you have to speak no more than four words to a sentence, and no more than two syllables to the word .. see dawg run? run,run,run ..

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
You know, you may be on something there...a couple of teachers I have appraised were annoying about when they could appraise their house. One whined about missing lunch...duh....like I wasn't there at the same time?

But really the problem pales beside Realtors themselves. They belly ache about not having a lock box key but 9 of 10 times, the key is missing or does not work. Waited at the gate for a salesman to let me in an exclusive passkey-only subdivision and finally called to find out they were showing property. More important to catch them while they were hot, I guess. I can always come back.

yeah.

Travis McGee

One of the first things my mentor told me was that the biggest pain in the *** homeowners I would have to deal with are school teachers. I have yet to find any reason to change that opinion and it has been proven to me on many occassions.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Ditto!!!

Last teacher borrower never could agree with a time and I declined the order because of it. It was one of those areas where I only go there weekday mornings and she kept insisting on either 5 pm or Saturday afternoon.

NOT!!! No way I'm dealing with crack heads wanting my camera!

Claude From NY

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
It's amazing isn't? Chop Busters, every single one. The only thing is, in lovely Nassau and Suffolk county they will tell you that they're not teachers they are "Educators"!!.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I don't work after 5, I don't work weekends (at least that's what I tell 'em). If the phone guy or cable guy was coming by, they'd be there all day. They can take a day's vacation or make arrangements for someone to cover their class for an hour. Now, I will come by at 7:30 or at 4:00 but that's my limit. They need me more than I need them.

Pam: I got rid of that area from my coverage area. They don't pay me enough to go there.

Mike Simpson

Teachers have a right to be cranky...I can't imagine having to tolerate 30-40 students all day long. I'd probably be ready to kill by the end of the day...and the older they are (brats that is) the worse they are! Next time you have a teenager tailgating you on your way home (tomorrow), just think of what those poor teachers must tolerate in an afternoon.

As for the Real Estate Agents--the only time they want to show up is when there's a problem. They're under the apparent assumption that if they're present during the inspection you won't notice all the things that are wrong with the property. This phenomenon has revealed itself over the years--without fail, everytime the agent request to be present at the time of the inspection there's an issue they're trying to conceal.

As for the weekend, late hour or early morning inspections: "I'm sorry, that time is often booked far in advance (usually two weeks out) because other people have a hard time taking off work too--as you can imagine. If you can't get antime off during the (normal business hours) I'd be happy to pencil you in (three weeks later), and give you a courtesy call a couple days before I come out." You'd be amazed at how well this works, invariably they always seem to find the time.

-Mike

larryhaskell

Professional Status
State
Nevada
You obviously haven't met my wife. She is nothing like what all of you have described above. My wife works more hours in a week than most of you & still finds time to make an appointment at home if necessary. I'm glad none of you were generalizing. :D

Roger

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Another observation on teachers.

Some of the dirtyest, most nasty, cluttered homes I have ever been in, belonged to school teachers.

One of the worst, suprisingly, was an instructor at a military school. Another bad one was the high school english teacher, with five house dogs, none of which were housebroken. I can still smell that one.

I have also had trouble scheduling some of these, and think that just maybe, they are ashamed to let a stranger walk through their house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks