• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Scrrea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibvoor

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Can someone tell me if the SCRREA "designation" is something that requires anything additional over and above a state certified residential real estate appraisal certificate? I have "goggled" the acronym and it mostly comes up with New Jersey appraisers that use the designation. I did not find any organizations or sites that specified additional educational requirements to enable use of the designation. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this matter. Thanks!

seattle98116

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Washington
Could someone just be using the acronym for State Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser--SCRREA?

ibvoor

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Basically, that is my question. There are many people using that designation. I just want to clarify if anyone who is certified can use it or if there are additional training requirements necessary in order to use it.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
If there is such a designation no one knows what it is and no one respects it. The only residential designation respected nationwide is the SRA, and the respect only comes from professionals who realize the effort it takes to get it.

Lenders do not care about residential designations. If SEATTLE is correct then it is someone trying to fool the public into thinking that they are something special, when they are just like everyone else.

ibvoor

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
What brought it to my attention was a website for a very well-respected appraisal valuation business in NJ. One of the criteria to be their employee was to be a SCRREA. Perhaps they were just trying to say that they only hired certified as opposed to licensed appraisers. When I googled SCRREA, I found heaps of appraisers using that designation in their business materials and after their name. That is what confused me. Thanks for the post.

Financially Feasible

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Perhaps they were just trying to say that they only hired certified as opposed to licensed appraisers.

That is exactly what they are trying to say. There is no such "designation" as the SCCREA or the SCGREA - it's just for people who don't feel like spelling out "State Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser" or "State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser". People just use it to give themselves a "designation" that really isn't there. If you want a designation in this business, here are a few good ones to look at: MAI, SRA, IFA, ASA, CRE, CCIM (just to name a few... some are crossover designations for brokers).

There have been threads posted on this Forum ad nauseum discussing designations. I think that I've said this on just about every single one: even if you have "alphabet soup" after your name, you better be ready to back it up with actual knowledge!

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Where I come from that stands for South Carolina Redneck Extra A--hole!!:new_all_coholic:

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
July 1, 2002 New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs State Board Of ...

"Appraisal Qualification Board (AQB)" means the independent board of the ... residential real estate appraiser" ("SCRREA") means an individual who has ...
http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/adoption/realado.htm

"State certified general real estate appraiser" ("SCGREA") means an individual who has satisfied the experience and education requirements as set forth in this chapter, has successfully completed the Board approved examination, and holds a current, valid certificate as a certified general real estate appraiser.
"State certified residential real estate appraiser" ("SCRREA") means an individual who has satisfied the experience and education requirements as set forth in this chapter, has successfully completed the Board approved examination, and holds a current, valid certificate as a certified residential real estate appraiser.
"State licensed real estate appraiser" ("SLREA") means an individual who has satisfied the experience and education requirements as set forth in this chapter, has successfully completed the Board approved examination, and holds a current, valid license for real estate appraisal.
"Trainee" means an individual in the process of acquiring the hours of appraisal experience and qualifying education required for certification or licensure under the direct supervision of a licensed or certified appraiser pursuant to this chapter.​

13:40A-7.3 Use of designations and abbreviations
(a) The following shall apply in connection with the use of designations and abbreviations on appraisal reports or in any advertisement or public representation:
1.-3. (No change.)
4. An individual who is not certified or licensed pursuant to the Real Estate Appraisers Act, N.J.S.A. 45:14F-1 et seq., and this chapter shall not use the designations or abbreviations set forth in (a)1 above or any other designation or abbreviation using similar combinations of words or letters to imply that the individual is state certified or licensed.
5. (No change.)
6. Trainee real estate appraisers shall use the full designation "trainee real estate appraiser" followed by their permit number. No abbreviation shall be permitted.​

Last edited:

Financially Feasible

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
New Jersey... it figures... looks like I had a designation and didn't know it! :rof:

ibvoor

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Thank you very much Mike for finding that info. Mystery solved. Lawrence, I got my best laugh of the day from your reply. This forum is so great - you post a question and within hours you get replies that usually have some great insight and/or facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks