• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Secrets Revealed-How I caught up & now have 1 week turns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Tired of spending an hour or more a day handling
those phone calls asking, "Where's the appraisal?"
"Have you called the borrower yet?" "When are
you going to fax the soft copy?"

This is how I got caught up and now quote
one week turn times (sounds too good to
believe huh?)

1. Ignore all faxes from AMCs wanting status
(they're too disorganized to follow status anyway)

2. Only return very relevant phone calls. Don't
bother with those who have assignments one state
over.

3. Only give status on reports when they actually
get you on the phone. Caller ID is well worth it.

4. Be polite, but honest. "The longer I talk to you
the longer it will take to get to your report."

5. Work on Thanksgiving, Friday after Thanksgiving,
and part of Saturday.

It worked for me. Its a great feeling to know you
won't be wasting a lot of time managing an overload
of requests.

and lastly,

6. Don't tell anyone your caught up. I might
have a stress free Christmas after all.

elliott

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
<span style='color:darkblue'>Or you can do what we did. Change schedules.

When I got home from doing inspections yesterday, Judy asked me if I really wanted to go to Traverse City Saturday morning as planned. (The trip usually wipes out a whole day). I quickly answered, "NO" loud enough to be heard in the next county. So this morning came and the alarm did not go off at 5am and I did not crawl out of bed until 8 AM. I dinked around doing this and that and nothing much at all. Had a big late breakfast. Took the dogs for a long walk and talked to a neighbor about his pole building. Watched some football and wished my daughter happy birthday when she called to thank us for the flowers. Not once did I open a report or search for a comp. It has been a great day. Only possible by changing that schedule.

My new goal for 2003 is to have Saturday and Sunday be days of rest as they should be. It will take some biting the bullet on some of those "gotta have this one done right away" orders but by gosh, normal life really feels good......at least this one day did.</span>

A

Anonymous

Here is how I eliminated my backlog. I wanted to visit my sister for Thanksgiving so I told my clients during the first week of November that I was going away. I worked like hell seven days a week for most of the month and got rid of my backlog.

I returned last Sunday and found no new orders, I only got two orders this week and today I am looking at the fax machine hopeing that something will come in. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Well, much of North Carolina has taken a vacation of sorts. A devestating ice storm hit us last Wednedsay and Thursday. Over two million METERS (not people...so multiply by 4 or 5) lost power and nearly 1 million still have no power.

I was lucky! I lost power for a total of maybe 12-18 hours since it began and yet I have appraiser buddies 5 miles away who have had no power at all since Thursday.

I still have no Road Runner cable and no MLS so I am basicly down for a while. I had to cancel appointments for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I still have dial up but no way to EDI like I need too.

Who cares! Appraisals are the last worry for many in NC at the moment and I will simply enjoy the time off and feel blessed that we are warm, fed and dry. My heart goes out to those who are not so fortunate.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Wow, I feel for you Bob. We just missed the bullet this time. Got some ice, but it quickly melted when it started raining harder. Now I understand what causes freezing rain, but it still feels strange when it is warmer in the higher elevations.

Things have slowed down for me too. I planned for a week off for CE, and came back to many messages, but nothing that I could not handle in a day or so. Getting back to the grind, but at a slower pace through the holidays. Yea! I get to enjoy Christmas :!: :D

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Bob, feel lucky. My brother lives near Greensboro/Highpoint and still has no electricity. He has a tree and power lines down in his back yard. He does have a gas fireplace or he would be a popsickle. Plus, (and I tried to warn him) he a has a nice long driveway down to his house which makes sliding uphill to get out impossible. It makes me thankful to live in TX with heat waves and pretty mild winters. I hope your family is not suffering from the ice blast.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I thought the whole profession of RE appraisal was based on one week turn times. :) :(

Pine Tree

Professional Status
State
Maine

Who cares! Appraisals are the last worry for many in NC at the moment and I will simply enjoy the time off and feel blessed that we are warm, fed and dry. My heart goes out to those who are not so fortunate.

AMEN! Glad you are well.. We had devastating storm in 97 here in New Engand .. By grace I never lost power either at home or at the office.. But other folks were without power for 3 weeks. The damage was incredible and is still evident in some areas. I see lots of generator hook ups as a result. We'll hope the elderly and and the small children are getting what they need..
P.S. I went to an inspection about a week after our ice storm where a tree had fall on a small house and just about flattened it.. Broker said" Is that a problem?"
Peace and Joy,
Wendy

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
For the first time I did 4 inspections on a SUNDAY! Still not caught up. More than half of the back log is REO appraisal work. Completely convenced I can't do more than one REO appraisal a day; therefore, the fee should be double that of a normal URAR.

100 mile round trip to do a modular home on 35 acres. 4 of the six comps were 20 miles distant from the subject. Takes me an extra hour to do listings as comps #4,#5, & #6. More time to research, more time to type up, interior pictures, repair estimates, and longer to send EDI.

Now I have one in $400,000 price range...what is going on with this stuff??? Work sucks!

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
The faster I go, the behinder I get! Need to write up a report for a property I saw last Monday, the 2nd. Spent Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday AM writing reports. Friday PM went to a 2 story relo that was built one room and one story at a time, next a 2055 exterior for a brand new home, then a HUD repo. Spent all weekend writing up reports again. Today had a 200 mile round trip to look at a refinance with a pit bull that the owner had to restrain, then 40 acres out in the middle of nowhere (a Honda Civic makes a pretty good 4 wheel drive) up and down about 75% degree slopes over the boulders as I dodged between the cows and horses, had to climb a mountain to my subject vacant lot, then back to home town to another HUD repo. Get home and my first voice mail is a message left by a non-client to my competition wanting to know how soon the report would be in. Getting pretty hectic when your competition's clients call for status on their reports. And lots of voice mails from my clients wanting to know when my reports will be in. So tomorrow I have to get two repos, one relo, one vacant land and one regular report written up! Think I will get it done? I think I will still be writing and not answering voice mail until Friday! At least I have to Thursday before the 2055 exterior client starts yelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks