• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Security...PDF Files...need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
I know there has been much discussion about this, but I have spent the last half hour searching for a particular thread. Somewhere on here, there were specific directions regarding how to secure a pdf file. My questions are:
1) Do I go to the particular file I have saved in pdf format, and click security?
2) What specific items do I check?
3) Do I have to do this for each file I send, or is there a place to save choices?

Mine presently says "no security".........I know, I know..... :oops:

I'd really appreciate some help. I just received an "Appraiser Acknowledgement" statement from a lender saying I was responsible for the file's security, and a place for me to sign. So, I'm sitting up and taking notice!

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Nancy in Friday Harbor posted the instructions in May I believe. Yes, open your pdf file, at the screen that pops up in the upper left hand corner click on document security, scroll down to standard Acrobat security, then check the items you want secured. After you go back to your file, a little gold key appears at the bottom of your screen. Then exit out, mine asks if I want to save the changes, I say yes, some messages appear at the bottom of the screen as I am exiting and I am back to the pdf folder. And my file is now at the bottom of the stack so I click on the time/date heading to get it back at the top. Then I print out the file to make sure this is what I want to email the client. Then start emailing. Again a big Thank You to Nancy for her instructions several months ago--this has been fun! My best client has to have the invoice sent as a separate pdf file because the keep the invoice in their office and send on my secured complete appraisal report to their main office. So you might run into that quirk.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Open the file in PDF, click on file, security & check Standard. Check "Paaword required to change secutity" & enter a password. Then check the items you want- don't allow changing the document, but allow all other options such as printing, etc. The re-enter the password at the bottom and your'e done. It's a good idea then to view the settings you've just made to see if they are what you wanted. I hope this helps; I am trying to remember the process without having it in front of me.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Which version are you using 4.0 or 5.0?
The responses above are correct for 5.0.

For 4.0 the secruity settings are changed under "Save As" while you have the document open.

With the document open, click "Save As". At the bottom of the window is "security features". Change the security settings and choose a password, verify the password, and click OK to save the PDF as a Locked File. (Just remember where, or which file you saved it, so you don't have to hunt it down.) It will flicker and save it, then the functions menu bar will be "greyed out" and the ittsy, bittsy yellow key will display at the bottom of the page.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Thank you all for the quickness in replying to my question. I have Acrobat 5.0, so all is well. :D

John SRA

Charlotte,

Your note says,

I just received an "Appraiser Acknowledgement" statement from a lender saying I was responsible for the file's security, and a place for me to sign. So, I'm sitting up and taking notice!

Even if you do use the security features in Adobe, I would be VERY wary about agreeing to be responsible for file security. Even with the standard security, standard PDF files are pretty easy to crack for anyone who is a little computer savvy.

If you want true security you need to go an extra step and apply a third party digital certificate.

The bottom line is no matter what format you report in (paper, PDF, etc.) the appraiser should not be held responsible for changes made to the report without the appraiser's authorization. I would be extremely careful in this regard.

Best Wishes

JC

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Thought I would put this back up top. I received an appraisal to field review today via pdf from a client. The file was unsecured. The appraiser probably didn't realize that when the file was sent it was unsecured. While I'm reading the report I'm also going to send them an e-mail to let them know for their future reference just to take the couple of seconds prior to sending to look and make sure the key symbol is at the bottom of the pdf file. This could be real scary because anyone could get in a report and change the report to fit their needs. So please all ensure if you send via pdf or some other form edi that the file is locked/secured.

Ryan

Cliff Salisbury

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Ohio
I use Adobe PDF 4.05. I opened the file and went to file. Under file is document information. Under security a windo came up saying
Method Standard
Open password No
Security password No
Print All
Change Document No
Select text No
Adding notes and fields No
I sign my appraisal in the appraisal program before sending it to Acrobat.
Is this the way it is suppose to be for security??

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
From your description, it sounds like it may be locked, but the "security password" should be YES. If you look at the very bottom, you will see a little, bitty, yellow key that indicates that it is locked.

If it is not locked, save it as per the instruction I posted above for v4.05. In 4.05, the security settings are changed in the "Save As" function.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Cliff,

Follow M. Leggett's instructions on acrobat v. 4.05. He has the entire instructions somewhere in this forum. As he states it should have a small yellow key at the bottom and security password "yes".

This has been posted before that if your sending pdf unsecured anyone could get in and change the report. They could take out sentences they don't like pics and even change the value all to fit their needs.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks