• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Security Testing Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
I remember that at one time someone posted a site that would test your computers vunerability to hackers. Could not find the postings on a search that I ran. If someone knows of the site or sites that will test this please let me know and post them.

Thanks,

Ryan

wyecoyote

Professional Status
State
Washington
Mary,

Thanks that was the one I was looking for.

Bob,

Could not find the one for McAfee but found their speed test. Damm sometimes this cable modem runs fast broke the 2.00 barrier.

Ryan

Bob Stainbrook

Sophomore Member
Ryan,
Try one of these 2 links.

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/?lips=44418cbb&hwid=e1673ecb710e47af

or

http://www.hackerwatch.org/

This what McAfee uses as their test site and ythey can even track hackers and will turn over to the FBI.

Hope this helps.

Bob Stainbrook

wyecoyote

Professional Status
State
Washington
Ok,

One other question for all you technical minded and hackers out there. I have a netgear router on my computer so it provides some level of protection from hackers. What about getting a software firewall in addition to the hardware firewall? Is it really neccessary? I suppose since this is a laptop with a wireless network card it may be a good idea. What are the pros and cons of a software firewall?

Ryan

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
One pro for using something like zonealarm or or outpost is it notifies you of what programs on your computer are trying to access the internet. You may be surprised to find what all it trying to access the internet from you computer. With these you can stop those that you don't want accessing it.

Your router will only stop outside attempts, not programs all ready on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks