• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Seller's request for a letter stating I was in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
I got a call from the seller of a home of a sales transaction that went south. He wants a letter from me stating I was in the home; nothing more.

The background is: I received an order from a large national lender to appraise a historic home for the purpose of sales conveyance. I prepped the file and inspected the property; and completed the field work. I continued to work on the file--and soon after I received a fax from the lender to cease work on the file.

Well it seems the owner is taking the buyer (and realtors in the transaction) to court on some issue of performance (I suspect).

Any thoughts on this one?

You are not obligated to seller, what for a subpeona. By responding to request you are automatically involving yourself in the pending suit.
Since you didn't complete the appraisal you have nothing to offer. Let owner subpeona lender, not you.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I agree with Joe. Politely decline to write the letter. Don't insert yourself into their dispute. You will no doubt be dragged in later but no sense walking into the quicksand on you own accord.

I would not look at my notes or file or anything. Your client has told you to cease working. Stop and forget it. Stay as dumb as possible and don't draw any conclusions. You may be asked at some point for an opinion or something. That would be the time to review you work.

Oh yes....don't forget that it is at least $60/hour portal-to-portal plus $0.30 per mile after the first 25 miles (my fee) concerning anything you do with the case including phone conferences with the lawyers involved.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I would advise not returning their phone calls and if caught anyway tell them to discuss it with YOUR client (and they are not your client.) You have nothing to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks