• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Several questions relating to over assessment by town assessor time is running out

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Your garage is what it is but you have a small door so you have functional obsolescence.

You purposely put in small windows on the second floor? Sounds like you are trying to game the system. Bedrooms don't have to have closets and the lack of doors and having small windows is again functional obsolescence. You have a three-bedroom house with FO and that is how I would appraise it.

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Here, there are procedures for challenging your tax assessment. You need to find out what those are for your jurisdiction.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Here, there are procedures for challenging your tax assessment. You need to find out what those are for your jurisdiction.
Yep North Carolina definitely has procedures and they work fairly well. In 2019 I helped a Homeowner on his appeal. We had an agreement I was Paid a Fee. I did not complete an appraisal. What I did was help him compile a list and description of his incomplete Basement finish and Partial Attic finish. I took pix for him and helped write his appeal. He did have permits for these improvements, he just never finished them.

The Kicker that got his Tax Assessment Value down substantially and successfully. I advised him to ask for a On-Site Inspection by the Tax Assessor. They do this in the Free State of North Carolina. The guy came out took his own pix and notes. Week Later the owner Tax Value reduce from $750K to approx $610K.

Bada Bing Bada Boom Done. Oh yeah I forgot, I had advised him to be Respectful, Truthful to the Inspector and be Flexible with the Inspection time/date.

That's just the ways we do things in North Carolina.

I am formerly from NY. I escaped in 1969.

Last edited:

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
The assessors a nice guy just reading the description of this property gives me a headache, why small upstairs windows and a 16' Door on a 2 car garage ? The assessors-inspector sounds like a nice guy in my City they would have sent three squads of Gestapo Code Compliance Officers who think they are part of the National Guard and a Fire Marshal who would have Red-Tagged me and yanked the meters and said no occupancy until those small windows up stairs were removed and replaced with ones large enough for occupants to escape out-of during a fire or natural disaster , Then they would have, with held the occupancy permit until I paid them another few thousand in re-inspection fees.

As far as hiring an-attorney ? Great just pour more gas on the fire the County Assessors have staff attorneys who do nothing but bankrupt people by filing more and more procedural motions and things to delay a trial. And when you get to trial that dirt bag attorney who for $200 bucks should have told you that you have no case and to go home will have extracted a minimum of $10,000 and a few days in court and now your really in trouble.

Rule Number One :
1-Be nice to County Gestapo Agents
2-Tell the assessor you voted for him -her and even donated to the campaign .
3-Make friends in high places.
4-Never represent your self
5-Expect next years assessment to go way up.

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks