• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Sexism & Quotas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
I'm making a personal observation. We've all filled out those
little forms that ask if your a minority owned business or
if the business is owned by a female.

I just happened to buy an existing appraisal business from a
woman owned business. I've noticed that a few companies
(perhaps under an affirmative action order) and semi-federal
agencies will pay virtually any fee (well 2x normal) to get
the female owned points.

Hey I think its fine that an appraiser can charge a higher fee,
what frosts me is this same semi-federal agency went out their
way to screw me out of $25 on a verbal fee approval.

elliott

hmmm.....I'm waiting for the government to include native-born, white, American males as a minority, which given our immigration policy should be any day now. Once that happens I should be able to charge triple. The only problem is that I'll be out of the business by then, unless it happens in the next 5 years. ;)

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Hey, Give me thier names and addresses:
I be a card carrying Native American female type, and no -body is offering ME any extra $$$ to work for them... <_<

any of you lenders out there please contact me directly

I get you DOUBLE bonus points!!! :usa:

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
My wife is Cherokee. I think I'm going to put the company under her name and bid for government jobs. I don't like the system but why not play it?

Roger

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Ditto, my wife is part Cherokee......... might have to see about that. Me, I'm just a plain ole' white boy. Irish/German mix, with the bad temper to prove it! :D

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I'm 1/8 Blackfoot. Do I mark "Native American"? You bet I do.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
These comments have reminded me of a story I have unearthed in reseaching my husband's family history. A GGGG Grandmother born in 1767 was an Eastern Cherokee Indian. In 1912, several of her great great grandsons applied for an Indian Claim settlement based on their great great grandmother's heritage. I think that was some type of pension. Any way, I thought it was interesting that 150 years after her birth, her descendants decided to take advantage of that. By the way, does that mean my husband is 1/200s Cherokee after that many generations??? And then there were the ancestors that got kidnapped by Indians in 1640 in Maine, were ransomed, kidnapped a second time, some were ransomed again and some decided to stay with the Indian tribe in Canada, eventually marrying daughters of French settlers. Now 300 years later--what is that relationship and heritage? This researching family tree information can get quite fascinating. Me, I am searching to see if Hagar the Horrible in the comic strip is my ancestor. He might be, the village in Germany my grandfather left in 1870 still has the church that was originally constructed in 1250.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Both of my father's parents were half Cherokee. My sister-in-law and I have spent some time trying to trace back the family history on that side of the family and apparently my ancestors just sprouted out of the ground somewhere around Arkansas and Tennessee.
My grandpa was born in and died in a small town in Arkansas. A few years ago he and I were sitting on his front porch (he was about 93 at the time), and I asked him where his father came from. He pointed off in the distance and said, "He came out of the woods someplace over yonder". That was all he knew, and if that was good enough for him then I guess it's good enough for me too.
I have never, nor will I ever consider taking one penny or expecting any special treatment for that or because I'm female.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Call me an anachronism, but while I appreciate the fact that you don't expect special treatment because you are female, I hope you are gracious enough to accept it when it is offered........some of us still believe in standing when a woman enters the room.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
That's nice, Greg.

My X was the ultimate 'gentleman' who always opened my doors, always stood when a lady entered - and unfortunately confused many because of it. :rolleyes: I'm so used to not having that anymore that I just charge ahead and open my own doors unless the man nearby is really fast. :p

You know Dee Dee meant more in business than socially. I will agree with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks