• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

SFR With Guest House, Zoned Duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasaBella

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I need some help from my fellow appraisers. I have an appraisal of a SFR with a guest house and the property is zoned duplex. I can only find one other similar within 5 miles, is it possible to use SFR's with guest house that aren't zoned duplex as comps? and how is that done on a 1025?

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
You need to determine, based on H&BU, who is the likely buyer and what will they do with your subject upon purchase. This will tell you what the best comparables are and how to appraise the subject.

California passed the most significant zoning change (effective 1/2017) that I've seen in my entire career as an appraiser (as significant as rent control). The state law requires the local jurisdictions to comply with it, or the local jurisdictional zoning is void.
My advice is that you look at the new ADU zoning requirements, which are mandated across the state, and do a H&BU analysis based on all of that information.

Good luck!

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I would try to find the most similar homes w ADU and then try to reconcile the zoning as to what influences are driving values within that zoning.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I need some help from my fellow appraisers. I have an appraisal of a SFR with a guest house and the property is zoned duplex. I can only find one other similar within 5 miles, is it possible to use SFR's with guest house that aren't zoned duplex as comps? and how is that done on a 1025?

Imo YES, assuming a guest house is legally zoned in a residential area, they serve the same function, correct? ( assuming leasing is allowed in res area a few restrict it but that is more likely with a guest house in an HOA community)/. Just explain te zoning but that they serve the same function, offer similar utility and design of a main dwelling with a guest house that can be used to rent or for personal purposes. Your subject property Being in a duplex zoning may be neutral to value, enhance value or adverse in value if comparing to the similar property in res zoning, the prices would let you know

Interesting you are doing it on a 1025 form- does the subject have two meters one for each building? ( just curios) A SFR with a guest house even if in duplex zoning might still have HBU as a SFR with guest house vs a duplex- or vice versa. Just throwing it out there. I wonder if your subject the owner lives in the main house- in my area at least most duplexes are not in the most attractive areas and typically, both units are rented, whereas in SFR with guest house, they are often in more res areas though they can be in mixed areas - most owners tend to live in the main dwelling as it same appeal as a house , whereas in duplex both units ( typically) are below the quality or floorplan appeal of a house . That is in my area though might apply to other areas.

Last edited:

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I thought this horse was dead and buried. :alcoholic:

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
If your job is to estimate the most likely selling price, it would probably be appropriate to figure out how potential buyers would perceive the property.

Tom4value

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Yes, H &BU problem to be solved first. For legally permissible, I would first go to building inspector. They are ultimately responsible. Economically feasible I would look at the size of the guest house in relation to the main house. If it can't legally be rented out it does not go on the 1025 and you can't look at the income approach for it's value. If it is the same or roughly the same size as the main house, I would wonder if a buyer would want it as a guest house. If the lot is large enough, I would look at the setbacks to see if it could be subdivided into two separate single family homes. Prickly situation.

Tom4value

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Clarification: I know you said it is zoned duplex. However, the building inspector would let you know if this property could be considered a duplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks