• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

She Past The Test!

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
My daughter Nicolle (Nikki) passed her state test today. We are working late as she completes her appraisal log to submit to the state. I will do the honors tomorrow and she should become a State Licensed Appraiser effective June 1, 2003. Old dad is sure proud of her efforts. We'll have to wait for her name to appear with the feds B4 she can submit a report without my signature but that's no big deal.

There was one issue that surfaced with our state office as Nikki verified the exact information they required that I would like to throw out for comments. Our state Director indicated that the only hours that would count toward the 2400 hours were those that were actually spent on a specific report. In other words, any general training that I provided for her like spending time @ various county offices or simply had her with me as I did inspections, could not count toward her hours unless she actually worked on that specific report. There have been times where we made several inspections in a day but she may not have contributed toward the completion of every report. My thought was that because there are numerous steps involved in the appraisal process, being present for the inspection may not be viewed as making a significant contribution but none the less, hopefully some learning was taking place. Does this position by the state seem legitimate and is it consistent with other states? She will have an adequate number of hours but it seems to me that as her supervisor, I'm certifying that she has received in excess of 2400 hours of supervised training during the past two years.

Comments regarding this issue would be appreciated by me and I'm sure Nikki would appreciate an atta girl or two from any of you who are so inclined. :D

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Congratulations!!!

I would say that the specifics of what is or is not counted is up to your state. Sad that they don't count all that time spent learning.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
:beer: Yeah, Way to Go!

Does this position by the state seem legitimate and is it consistent with other states?
Doesn't make since to me. Like you said, it's just important to learn how to inspect, get the data, etc. as it is to write the report. Heck, I'd say learning how to research is more important than the writing part. A monkey...... errr UW...... can be taugh how to fill in a form. :p

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Congrats to Nikki. Perhaps there's room to expand on the description of what was done. Depending how you write it, right? Helping to inspect etc, seems like it could easily be an important contribution to me. Those hours at the county office surely had some actual work getting done. But she's got plenty of hours so no worries right? :D

Tom Barclay

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Oregon
Congratulations, to you both. Interesting thought to add though. When I was teaching at the local college, I received an invitation to a graduation party at a local eatery for a party for one of my students. He was an amazing student, to say the least; VN refugee, college educated, teacher, spoke and wrote Manadarin and about 10 other dialects of Chinese; French, Spanish, and English. He fled the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia after fleeing VN, ended up in my class. What can I possibly teach this guy? Long story made short. I got there to pay my respects to him, and found that I was the guest of honor. They revere the teacher more than the student. Not to diminish Nikki's accomplishment in any way, but you both have a right to feel very proud. Job well done on both of your parts. Absolutely nothing better than a proud dad, and a teacher at that.
As for the state requirements, I have always stated any involvement by a trainee as "providing significant professional assitance in the preparation of this report". I believe that research, and even driving to and from comps is"significant". ( I don't think the state quite agrees with me on this). After driving to a subject property the first time with a new trainee, I asked her how many duplexes, multi family units, what percentage of commercial, what are the real neighborhood boundaries? Of course she didn't have a clue that I was going to ask such stuff. Even the typing of the report, because, at least I believe, that we lead ourselves to our conclusions as a process. Everything we do, all day long should qualify for experience credit. Does learning how to smooze the lady at the counter at the courrthouse who gives you absolutely the best data qualify? Does really paying attention to the railroad tracks, power lines, major streets, etc., or even reading the newspaper to find out what is happening(crime stats, zoning, business openings, layoffs...) have anything, or everything to do with the process? Is standing on the streetcorner with the biggest sleeze RE broker in the area for 15 minutes contirbuting to your knowledge of the market? Does running current statistics on MLS have anything to do with the market, or should it be specific to the one job you are working on today? The state wants to quantify what they should be trying to qualify Just my HO.
Ayway, not to be long winded. Congratulations again, and continued success in the faimily business.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Tom,

WOW!! What a wonderful story and explanation of teaching and learning! I would love to have you write up something similar (or even just copy this one) and post it in the Newbie/Wannabe section here so it can be put into the FAQ section.

---------------------

Larry,

I remember you concern for your daughters safety in prior threads. Check out this article:

http://www.rismedia.com/index.php/article/...eview/3993/1/1/

---------------------

Nikki,

WELCOME!!!! I'm sure you know more about real appraising because of your Dad training you properly than many others that are certified and training others, but never were taught how to actually appraise. Congratulations!!!!

Bill_FL

Professional Status
State
Florida
Tom,

Congrats. In NC, they have an hour requirement, however they have defined this as "points". Example, 1 residential report is worth 1 point. You must have "x" amount of points in a minum hour period. Works well.

As far as working on a "specific" report. When you were in the courthouse, she was working on a "specific" report. Pulling the legal data etc. When you were at the inspection, she was working on a "specific" report. Each of those time frames would add up. Does she have to actually compelte the entire appraisal? If she did 4 hours research on a "specific" appraisal, however your finished and signed it, would that not count?

Tom Barclay

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Oregon
Pam,
Feel free to move it or use it if you think it would be of some value. Would write something specific, but at least for now, I am almost off on vacation. Have some comp photos to shoot on the way to the plane at noon. Will be back next Thur. Everyone have a good Holiday.

Phil Rice

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I went thru the experience requirement in Colorado. The rules in Colo are that you need to keep a log of each report that you work on. In order for a report to count, it must have your (the trainee) signature along with a supervisor signature, both signatures need to be on the report. If I did not sign the report, I was not allowed to count any hours.

In Massachusettes, there is a point system, each report counts x number of points, and you need a minimum number of points to meet the experience requirement. In Mass, there is also a minimum time period (I think 2 years), so that no matter how many reports you have signed, it still takes a minimum of 2 years from the time you get the learners permit.

Having been thru the experience of moving from 1 state to another, I have become a believer in the concept that there should be uniform requirements in all states, and a license should be good in any state.

C. Kevin Bokoske MAI

Professional Status
State
Florida
I can't contribute to the "hours" topic, but I would like to congratulate you and your daughter. When I was a fee appraiser in CT (I'm now with an assessor in TN) my son worked with me "for a few months" after college, to save for a car. That was almost 10 years ago. He's now an MAI in Portland, OR. This is a great multi-generation business/profession we're in. Hope you can continue to work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks