• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Does anyone else find it amazing that so few appraisers and trainees from PA utilize this website?

I know of only one appraiser in Northeastern PA that even knows this exists.

Have any of you ever attempted to organize a website, blog, or other form of electronic network for appraisers in your county or region?

It seems like a logical thing to do to mirror what this website does but on a local level. Things like posting zoning maps, ordinances, information about non-MLS sales, etc.

Am I nuts? I'm not trying the impossible to execute appraiser union or anything like that, I don't want to herd cats, just a digital way to share information that is not unlike the analog way appraisers have been doing things for eons.

:shrug:

Ed Falkowski MAI SRA

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Laughing Heir - I think that this website is basically sufficient for whatever we need on either a local or national level. I do agree with you that, despite it's relatively large size and number of overall appraisers, that the PA respresentation on AF is severely lacking. Of course - what do we have to talk about? Our prices (on the overall) are stable to still increasing, we have a good economy, a good Governor (and I do not say that simply because I'm a Democrat)... we're boring! If you've noticed, the states which get the most chatter or CA and FLA - where prices are dropping like rocks. If that's the case, I'm glad our PA contingent is silent... most of us (myself included) are busy doing work for the good amount of purchases/refis that PA is experiencing (or maybe I should just talk about my SE portion of the state?). People who talk too much obviously don't have enough work to keep them busy. :icon_mrgreen:

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
NEPA is still going strong (the Scranton/WB/Hazleton MSA was voted one of top five most affordable places in the U.S.). Prices in the Poconos are probably more on par with Southern Pa.

I totally agree with you that Pa is 'vanilla' in comparison to other places. It's especially interesting to read what others have to say about massive foreclosures, falling prices, fraud, etc. We just don't see that up here in this corner of the Commonwealth (at least not outside of the Poconos).

I'm glad to hear that you are busy. We're rolling right along too, it seems people can still afford to buy $75,000 1,500 sq. ft. homes all day long. Another fad that us coal crackers don't seem to be into is the cash-out refi, people just love to see their fixed rate under 6% and still have equity. It makes for easy appraising w/o too much pressure from the brokers to inflate prices.

I'm still interested in trying to set up some sort of information sharing website with the appraisal shops within about a 45 mile radius of my firm.

ARRE

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Here in the Northcentral part of the state it is going strong too. We are doing OK (a little slow, but that is to be expected due to the snow falling every 4 days). We have experienced some lender pressure, but if there is noone who will inflate them, then there is no problems, right??...I wish....

Anyway, it is good to see others who are willing to spend some time to check out this wonderful site!!

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
we have a good economy, a good Governor (and I do not say that simply because I'm a Democrat

You gotta be kidding me. Ed Swindell is a good governor?:rof:

He never met a new tax he didn't like. Only wish he would have stayed Mayor of Philadelpia, that way the rest of the state would have been spared.

TC

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I do not appraise in PA, but I am originally from the York area. I agree with your point that it is not in the culture there to treat the home as an ATM machine like many areas. The housing is holding steady there as well, the biggest demand is from Maryland people coming north of the border for much lower housing prices and taxes.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
...the biggest demand is from Maryland people coming north of the border for much lower housing prices and taxes...

York sounds like the Monroe & Pike Counties of Southern Pa!

Pike County is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation, compliments of fleeing NJ & NY residents.

Unfortunately, crime :new_2gunsfiring_v1:is much more prevalent in these areas following the mass migration.

Does anyone from Pa remembers the fraud that rocked the Poconos in the late 90s/early 2000s (Y-Rent)? That's about the only market correction I've seen in my 7 years in this racket.

I highly recommend using Google or Virtual Earth to get a birds-eye view of the rapid growth that the area has seen. It's unlike anything that's ever happened in this region before.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Justin,

Which MLS system do you utilize in Williamsport? You're really not that far from Scranton. Whenever I go to Happy Valley I like to take the 'back way' on Route 118.

I think a better question might be, do you know who Joe Snedeker is!

jnordquist

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I'm steady over here in SW Pa. It is really crazy to read the post from Florida and California. Seems like they have a huge problem with pressure, and crappy appraisers. I personally don't entertain the mortgage broker bull***t, I deal with very few of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks