• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Should I Give Alamode A 2nd Try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
I am posting this in the ACI forum as well as here.

Here is the story. I began appraising with my mentor in the late 90's. My mentor used Alamode so I did to ofcourse. I finished up my hours and opened up shop and I got me a membership by 2000 with Alamode. I used the software up to 2016. I had times where I even used other software with Alamode and stopped using Alamode, but I always came back in a month or two expcept in 2016. In 2015 the software ran terrible on a brand new $4k laptop. I had tech support on the line so I could get reports finished at least once or twice a month, because of the glitches with the software. So when time came to renew in 2016 I spoke to Alamode sales staff and a told them I was not liking how the software was running (I referred to the calls I had made to tech support) and asked what they think. I did get a response, but it was not helpful so I did not renew.

I went on to Clickforms. The software runs smoother on my system and tech support is very helpful and sometimes I feel like I have to hang up to get rid of these guys. I mean they resolve the issue and they look for something else to do it seems. So why would I even consider leaving these guys right. Well another person I work with uses Alamode and he would like me to use Alamode, but it is not required. Its the only software he has used.

So I made the call to Alamode and spoke to Tammy. Tammy gave me the wake up call I needed. She said I had been gone several years and that to come back it would be $689. I explained everything above and more and said I have not been gone several years. Funny how it seemed like I was getting penalized if I decided to try the software that was not working well on my system. She put me on hold and came back with a price of $349 to renew since I have been gone for less than a year. She said a renewal code would work up till September 24th. She gave me the sales pitch about how Total was the best thing since slice bread and I told her it was not for me and that is why I left (I told her I was hopping it worked better now with updates etc especially with the Titan thing). She continued and said that so many appraisers were leaving ACI (because of the problems with there new software) to come to Alamode and so on. By now I was getting upset, but I managed to ask her if Alamode would give me any discount to come back and she said in short NO. I heard it as, WE DON'T NEED YOUR BUSINESS SO WE WON'T GIVE YOU A DIME OFF."

I am really concerned that Alamode thinks they can treat customers any kind of way then say take it or leave it. I mean if a lender I did reports for was not happy with my work, fired me then indicated that he may use my services again, Do you think I would say THE FEE TO COME BACK IS STILL ABC. I would say I will give you a discount because you were not satisfied with our work, you are giving us another chance and HELL I WANT YOUR BUSINESS SINCE YOU WERE A CLIENT FOR 15 MILLION YEARS.

So that is it. I have decided that if Alamode does not think I am valuable I will become the poster boy for ACI, Clickforms and any other software that shows customers they are valuable. The other appraiser uses Alamode, but if the company thinks Appraisers are not valuable GOOD LUCK, because I will work harder to use another program even if Alamode is better. Think you are valuable to Alamode? If they continue to show I am not then you better rethink your answer.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Alamode is better than the rest and owe you no cow or tow. ACI is and always has been open source software with the easiest software changes post submission .

hal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I strongly agree. They don't owe me a thing, because I paid for the service they gave me. I thank God for the freedom this country has which allows me to express my opinion of that service and I sure plan on expressing it.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I went on to Clickforms. The software runs smoother on my system and tech support is very helpful and sometimes I feel like I have to hang up to get rid of these guys. I mean they resolve the issue and they look for something else to do it seems.

CF is smooth, handful of issues over a decade+ (if any, probably all my fault), and a good value per report.

My experience with tech is very professional, quick diagnosis and back to work in minutes. I suppose they have 2-3 IT on a shift taking care of the country, so I doubt they have time to talk about the weather, IMO.

I would HATE to have to change to another system and meet my expectations at the CF price point.

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Alamode = Mercury
ACI = Lighthouse

Neither is there to help you. Not your friend

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
A $4k laptop? Wow, that sounds steep.
I have had minimal problems with alamode on my 4 year old desktop with i5 processor, SSD, and maxed out ram.
Iirc, it was more like $1,500 including 3 monitors.
Had a bunch of problems with ACI before I switched about 3.5 years ago.
You biz, your call. I'm not planning to switch again.

norapp

Professional Status
State
New York
I've had Alamode sine 1996. I installed an update about 6 months ago and since have had never ending problems which they can't fix. Worse problem is my reports disappear and I have to timeline to get it back which means I lose the work I've done in the past 15-30 minutes (not sure of the time). Either way I do a lot of work and then have to retrace my steps, rewrite and sometimes miss things I need to put back. All in all it's a nightmare. I plan on getting a new computer in Winter when I have time to figure out a new system. If it happens with the new computer I am done with them. Believe me, they don't give a crap.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I've had Alamode sine 1996. I installed an update about 6 months ago and since have had never ending problems which they can't fix. Worse problem is my reports disappear and I have to timeline to get it back which means I lose the work I've done in the past 15-30 minutes (not sure of the time). Either way I do a lot of work and then have to retrace my steps, rewrite and sometimes miss things I need to put back. All in all it's a nightmare. I plan on getting a new computer in Winter when I have time to figure out a new system. If it happens with the new computer I am done with them. Believe me, they don't give a crap.

Been a customer since 1992. In good times and bad I could always depend on their support. I had some issues switching over to digital photos around 2000, and some other stuff I can't remember the details about. Alamode assigned a tech to call me daily for a week until i got it all down pat. They have always been there for me. Last year my old computer crashed and I set up Alamode on a Lap Top and a PC with their help. Minimal issues, and always a quick response. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I rarely have problems with Alamode (since 1994). I did have one lemon new computer that wrecked havoc, but when I bought a new computer everything returned to normal.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Alamode = Mercury
ACI = Lighthouse

Neither is there to help you. Not your friend

you need to keep up with the times. alamode hasn't owned mercury for a while now. in fact it has been resold AFTER alamode sold it to begin with.

i am not a fan of alamode. i started using them waaaaay back in the day, early 90s or so, when i was ordering from forms and worms. tech support was good, product was good, i was happy. as time went on the program became bloated and worse and the tech support dwindled to pure ****.

i remember a time when you called the person who answered the phone would actually be able to help you. a couple years ago when i left them i would call, get a phone screener who would make me explain the problem, they would (sometimes) transfer me to a jr tech support person, i would have to restate the problem(s) and they could only help me if my exact question was in their big book of responses. if it wasn't then i would be forced to wait for a sr tech person to call me back sometime within the next 1-3 days, and even then it was only successful about 75% of the time.

on top of that i still remember dave biggers posting on here that he hated 90% of his appraisal customers and judging by the OP that mantra hasn't left the company. alamode knows they are the biggest player and that they can throw their weight around, and they do. at one point appraisers were their main focus but they have expanded into so many areas of real estate that we are on the back burner. they also monitored these forums for people posting anything negative about the company and would then cancel their software lease/account without consulting them. i know of at least 3 appraiser that happened to.

spend your money where you see fit but alamode will never see another penny from me. i would do an entire narrative in a text document before i would use their software again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks