• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Should I stay or should I go

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonadams234

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Mississippi
Whats up guys! Pretty cool site here with a ton of useful information it looks like. Need some advice....

I am a trainee with all my hours complete for my General. I have taken all my required classes though the Appraisal Institute. I have my college degree. I have 8 more months until I will be eligible to apply for my Generals license.You would think I would be on top of the world right? Not exactly.....

I work in an office that is full of drug use, tax evasion, dishonestly and unfairness. The pay is also a joke. I made 20k last year and did at least one appraisal a week! I made more money in college bar tending. I want to leave so bad but I don't want to be "that trainee". I don't know how much longer I can take it. :shrug:

When should I feel I have paid my dues? This must be what an inmate feels like when he is up for parole. Have a great day and God bless....

Wayne Tomlinson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Get the General. If you have done all the work, and can qualify, don't give that up.

How would it look on a resume to say: I did all the work and classes to get the CG, but I didn't like the people I worked with. However I know all the stuff, just hire me and let me show you.

At this point you must be used to it. Don't let them win. After the new CG. go off to better pastures, even some other carrer of something. You can always come back to appraising. I spite of the gloom, appraisng is always going to be with us.

I am right now seeing banks being more careful on who they hire. I think that will increase.

Wayne Tomlinson.

PLCG

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
You can stay, or you can find a new mentor. Do you have a copy of each of the reports you have done, and any other paperwork necessary when you apply to the state board? My state requires the mentor to sign a form stating that you have done the work in your log of hours. All states are different. Check your regs and decide if you might find a place you would want to continue work once you have gotten certified.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Don't quit now. There are many on this site who would kill small farm animals to be where you are.

Once you get the license find another firm to work with. I would not suggest going out on your own right after training, commercial is too complex and there is too much to learn.

Working for another firm you might also learn that your current folks weren't that good at what they do. Many people realize that the hard way.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Stick it out and get the CG.

TC

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
First I would get what I assume is your real name off of your sign in. Get wayne to change it. Your post throws around some accusations that could be legally/financially detrimental to your future.

Hang in there. Maybe cut back at that office to just part time. Go tend bar to earn your bucks until you get your Gen.

lauralee

Professional Status
State
Louisiana
First I would get what I assume is your real name off of your sign in. Get wayne to change it. Your post throws around some accusations that could be legally/financially detrimental to your future.

Agreed, and just want to add that I also agree with Timothy Evans' post above. Just stick it out; make sure you are not knowingly associated with anything illegal/unethical. Do some extensive reading on this forum and make use of the search feature. That will help you A LOT. Others have learned and risen above mediocre training. Classes, etc. will help.

hettiem

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
GO. If the office is unethical or makes you feel uncomfortable do you really want your professional name associated with it? As appraisers, all we have is our name and or ethics. Although I am a Certified Residentail Appraiser and not studying for General, I left my office after five brutal years, with my logs, and copies of all the appraisals I worked on. (otherwise it can get sticky if you need to get copies down the road) You may want to wait until you are fully approved to take the test, (I am in Oregon so the rules may be different here) but get out as soon as you can. I feared that when I left, I would be bad mouthed and I did have a misplaced sense of guilt, but it is well worth it. It took me 8 months, I built up my own practice, and things are good. I make more money even in these slow times then I ever could on their splits, and I don't have to deal with wackos. And again, reputation is everything in this business.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Whats up guys! Pretty cool site here with a ton of useful information it looks like. Need some advice....

I am a trainee with all my hours complete for my General. I have taken all my required classes though the Appraisal Institute. I have my college degree. I have 8 more months until I will be eligible to apply for my Generals license.You would think I would be on top of the world right? Not exactly.....

I work in an office that is full of drug use, tax evasion, dishonestly and unfairness. The pay is also a joke. I made 20k last year and did at least one appraisal a week! I made more money in college bar tending. I want to leave so bad but I don't want to be "that trainee". I don't know how much longer I can take it. :shrug:

When should I feel I have paid my dues? This must be what an inmate feels like when he is up for parole. Have a great day and God bless....

As tough as it may be ... stay and get your General Certificate. As you know work among those who can do commercial is currently much different than those that only do residential.
The commercial market may change some, but in general its not nearly as volatile as the residential market.
Become diversified once you get your general and you will make a good living for yourself. Once you get your general certificate, see if you can find another general to work under for a while. One that doesnt do drugs, one that is honest, and one that isnt prone to tax evasion ... trust me Uncle Sam will catch up with them ... its only a matter of time.

You have almost paid 90% of your dues ... get to 90%, get your general, and the next 10% will be much more rewarding.

Best of luck.

Kevin Keck

Professional Status
State
Ohio
I am assuming the question you are asking is should you stay at your current office. I would hope that given all that you have endured you are planning to follow through with the CG plan. If I am correct in my assumption I would suggest you quietly start looking for a new employer buy only if your current employer can't/won't block you in your efforts to become certified. In my mind you have no continued obligation to your mentor. Plan carefully and don't act impulsively. Don't burn any bridges that you may later need to cross.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks