• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Signature help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alisa

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I am trying to fill out an online application and it is asking for my signature. I have an ACI signature but can't figure out how to put
it into this form which seems to be a word document.

Can someone please help? Or tell me how to create a new usable digital
signature I can put on these types of forms (not reports).

Thanks so much!
Alisa

Webbed Feet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Canada
Alisa,

I would not use my digital signature I use in my appraisal reports for anything else, ever!

Why don't you contact whoever is reponsible for that web site, and on-line form, and ask them for assistance?

Webbed.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I would not use my digital signature I use in my appraisal reports for anything else, ever!

Why? It's just a picture. If you didn't sign something then you didn't sign something.

Alisa... Scan a signature and save it as a jpeg or maybe a pdf or bitmap. Then add a picture block where the signature is supposed to be and import the scan of your signature.

Or maybe just type in /signed Alisa Lastname/ :shrug:

Alisa

Professional Status
State
Texas
Thanks, all!

I ended up printing it, signing it and faxing. Guess I'll look into this for the future.

Actually, I felt the same way about using my report signature but Greg is right also...the reason I wouldn't want to is then someone might be able to copy the signature and put it into their own report and I'd never know
how they got it. If I save my report signature it will always look different
(slightly) from any other signature file I might use.

Again, thanks!

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Get a real digital signature with a certificate issued by a company specializing in them. You can then freely use it on any document.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Why? It's just a picture. If you didn't sign something then you didn't sign something.

Alisa... Scan a signature and save it as a jpeg or maybe a pdf or bitmap. Then add a picture block where the signature is supposed to be and import the scan of your signature.

Or maybe just type in /signed Alisa Lastname/ :shrug:

Greg,

Actually, according to Federal Law signed by Clinton when he was President, it is the same as your "live" signature and you are bound by what you sign disitally. Using it in the manner described is just asking for someone to steal it.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Actually, according to Federal Law signed by Clinton when he was President, it is the same as your "live" signature and you are bound by what you sign disitally. Using it in the manner described is just asking for someone to steal it.

That law was to legitimize a digital signature at the dawn of the digital age. If someone else uses your digital signature image then it is forgery and you didn't sign anything.

My "advice" to Alisa was to scan a signature, not use her ACI signature. It's the same thing as printing the document, signing it and faxing it. I can print a signed document, scan the signature, bring it into photo shop, change it's color and clean it up and have the person's "signature" in less than 5 minutes.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
A digital signature is not necessarily a picture of your signature as you sign a piece of paper. I don't know specifically what that website was asking for. But, if it was asking for a digital signature then most likely it was asking for a string of characters that are part of a cryptographic signature which is used to verify you are who you say you are through the use of a certifying authority on the net.

Personally, I would not EVER scan my hand written signature and place it on the internet. EVER! Let someone else do that. Because if they are using a scanned signature there are tale-tell signs that it is such and could be used as evidence of someone fraudulently using your signature.

Please see....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature

Last edited:

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
That law was to legitimize a digital signature at the dawn of the digital age. If someone else uses your digital signature image then it is forgery and you didn't sign anything.

My "advice" to Alisa was to scan a signature, not use her ACI signature. It's the same thing as printing the document, signing it and faxing it. I can print a signed document, scan the signature, bring it into photo shop, change it's color and clean it up and have the person's "signature" in less than 5 minutes.

Well, you are a graphics genius while most of us are just appraisers. I would print the document, sign it, then scan it and finally send it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks