• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Single Family Homes Converted to Condominium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

masmia

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I'd like to get some ideas on a property I'm appraising. The property consists of 10 adjacent lots zoned Single Family Residential that have been converted to a 3-unit Condominium. Three of the lots are improved with detached single family residences. According to the condo docs each unit owns outright the land around each house with the remaining land designated as undivided common elements. So basicaly there are three detached single family homes that are typical for the area along with XX SF of land used for common elements including pool, cabana, tennis, etc. Thanks for your input.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
Good luck with that. I'll be checking back for the ideas on this one, very interesting.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
If each home includes the land UNDER the improvements, it is not a true condominium. It would seem to me that they should be identified as single family homes with a tenants in common ownership of other property for recreational (or whatever) usage. It sounds to me like many of the gated communities in my market area that are detached SFHs with common area. Often times, developers and even planning departments mis-use the term "condominium." Not that this is an FHA property but it might help to look up the FHA definition of a condominium.

masmia

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Mike,

If the property is bound by a Declaration of Condominium does that not define it as a condo?

CCAAMO

Professional Status
State
California
I'd like to get some ideas on a property I'm appraising. The property consists of 10 adjacent lots zoned Single Family Residential that have been converted to a 3-unit Condominium. Three of the lots are improved with detached single family residences. According to the condo docs each unit owns outright the land around each house with the remaining land designated as undivided common elements. So basicaly there are three detached single family homes that are typical for the area along with XX SF of land used for common elements including pool, cabana, tennis, etc. Thanks for your input.

If they own the land around the house outright it is not a condominium. Since there is additional common area is sure sounds like a planned unit development.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Mike,

If the property is bound by a Declaration of Condominium does that not define it as a condo?

Maybe, maybe not. I would have to read that declaration and also look at the deed. It may have started out to be condos but did not end up that way for unknown reasons. Have you EVER heard of a developer that did not follow his original plan? LOL A better question might be ....did you ever hear of a developer that followed the original concept? If still in doubt, ask the title officer how each loan will be insured. As a SFR with common area or as a condominium. (not the escrow officer....a TITLE officer.)

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Site condo

Do a search here on the forum for "site condo" or landominiums

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Hmm if it was drafted as a condominium, regardless of land division since there is a common area, i'd be leaning towards calling them condos. But check out the landominiums and site condo threads. Post the links here if you have time!

masmia

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I would have to read that declaration and also look at the deed. If still in doubt, ask the title officer how each loan will be insured. As a SFR with common area or as a condominium. (not the escrow officer....a TITLE officer.)

Delcaration defines the unit as a specific portion of the land with any improvment on it along with an undivided percent of common area not defined as a unit. For clarification say that total land area is 5 acres. Unit 1 is acre 1 plus improvements, unit 2 is acre 2 plus improvements, unit 3 is acre 3 plus improvments, remaining acres undivided common elements between the three defined units.

The appraisal is not for lending pruposes so there is no title officer.

I will be visiting the city building and zoning department today as well as the subject property. I'll let you guys know what the city says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks