• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

single family with apt. above garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrotta

How would you estimate GLA :?:

New single family (builders own) adds a three car garage and puts an apt. above the garage; your calculating the GLA -

just a note; everything is legal & approved*

Your Thoughts :?:

8)

Tater Salad

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
I probably wouldn't count it as GLA unless there is heated/enclosed access from the main GLA. I'd put it on another line as an amenity. That's what I've done in the past, anyway.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
If it has separate access, it is not considered in the main living area. In the cost approach you figure actual construction cost and depreciate it like any other super adequacy. That is, unless garage apartments are typical for the area and they get full value for them. In this area, it is treated just like a pool or workshop and has a lower contributory value than actual cost (like a pool or workshop or garage conversion). It may be different in your area so investigate and do what is typical.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
If it's not finished, heated and cooled (similar to the rest of the improvements) and, if it does not have access from the inteiror of the home, then, it's not GLA. I'd try to find similar comparables. (In-law, office, etc.) detached from the rest of the home. (if access is from outside)

Good Luck!

vargasteve

Professional Status
State
California
Funny - just today had same/similar. Mine had exterior entrance through breezeway, appears unheated (too much clutter to actually determine & father in law didn't know about heat). So, in my case the additional sq/ft was actually listed in (public records/metroscan). However, I chose not to count as GLA, doesn't really make the house with or without it. If its detached, and in this case with no internal bath you have to exit the area go through front door, through living are to use bath or other areas - get real - so its not GLA, but does have value & contribute towards marketability.

GLA is interior entrance, with heat, functional floorplan, permits. Each situation has to be considered case by case with no hard / set rules - FEEL THE APPRAISAL FORCE... However, it still has a value - just find a comp with cottage, bonus area, sunroom, whatever and justify some value (if warranted) in that manner.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
If it is not rented and/or not zoned for multi-family, I call anything that is set-up of independent living on site as "Guest Quarters". If they are rented, I don't do the appraisal, as we don't appraise income property. We have a lot of these up here, especially on the lakes. Often the old garage is made into a 1 or 2 bedroom with kitchen/living and bath. Since they are not rented, I do not include it in the GLA and just assign a contributory value to the unit. There is not enough market data to show what a unit is worth so showing an estimated contributory value satisfies the owner and calling it Guest Quarters does not upset the UW. It is sort of a soft peddling my way around this issue but I honestly can't measure how the market reacts to these things.

Ken-NC

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
In the past week, I've had two like that. The first was a 74 year old traditional home with a detached single car garage. Above the garage was a 300s.f. guest apartment with a bath and living/bedroom. The second was a log home several years old. This home had a rear screened porch. Attached to the rear side of the porch was a 360s.f. guest cottage with a kitchenette, living room and bath.

Not sure about the rest of the country, but here in NC they simply couldn't be considered part of the main home's GLA. Even in situations where a bonus room is located above a garage and the only entry to this room is through the garage and up a flight of stairs. If you have to pass through an unheated portion of a property to access the additional heated living area, it must be counted seperately.

jtrotta

Thanks to all for the input;

as noted the area is brand new and does offer heat; ac; kitchen; BR & Bath. It does offer a separate entry so we did not include it in GLA and adjusted accordingly. We used a similar sale of recent date and three others; it is "Legal" per town PZC and therefore, no special acceptions were noted.

It appears that we (in general) across the country view this type of product almost similarily.

Thanks again :)

8)

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Wow surprised in CT. U don't have a lot more of these. Back in NH many homes are doing two story Garages for Guest Dens Office whatever's See more value in those than finished Basements.

jtrotta

Karl

never said I hadn't done others or that there were few; but-due to most of the New Zoning, there will be a lot less. Zoning in most towns is now under scrutiny based on the great influx from Western Ct.; Noo Yawk; and Jersey. The past few years has seen a tremendous growth in new construction middle towards the eastern half - land is now becoming a very rich item.

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks