• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Single Monitor With Multiple Form And Source Pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
The rage over the past few years has been to buy/install 2-4 monitors to do appraisal work. This means 2-4x the electricity cost, purchase expense, etc. Not to mention the mounting hardware to hold multiple monitors, plus upgraded video card, etc.

Now that there are 2K and 4K monitors available, do any of you use ONE of those, in a larger screen size (26-28" diagonal), and then put your form page(s) vertically to one side, and then have the MLS and county records/email, etc. on two other separate images, horizontally?

My other concern with 1 large monitor is whether or not TOTAL would still allow separate 'screening' of the pages that can be separated and shown individually from the main form...Addendum primarily, and maybe the Worksheet.

I currently use 2 monitors, one 18" diag horizontal as the primary, and a 22" diag. turned vertical to hold the 14" form. Considering adding a 3rd horizontal monitor..........but having 1 that will do the work of 3 is simpler....if it would work.

Robert McGaughey

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
The rage over the past few years has been to buy/install 2-4 monitors to do appraisal work. This means 2-4x the electricity cost, purchase expense, etc. Not to mention the mounting hardware to hold multiple monitors, plus upgraded video card, etc.

Now that there are 2K and 4K monitors available, do any of you use ONE of those, in a larger screen size (26-28" diagonal), and then put your form page(s) vertically to one side, and then have the MLS and county records/email, etc. on two other separate images, horizontally?

My other concern with 1 large monitor is whether or not TOTAL would still allow separate 'screening' of the pages that can be separated and shown individually from the main form...Addendum primarily, and maybe the Worksheet.

I currently use 2 monitors, one 18" diag horizontal as the primary, and a 22" diag. turned vertical to hold the 14" form. Considering adding a 3rd horizontal monitor..........but having 1 that will do the work of 3 is simpler....if it would work.[/QUOT

I use a 34" dell monitor and it works great. You can undock the sections that Total allows and use them like they are on 2 monitors, but they are just on the same monitor. With 1 larger monitor you can view 2, 3, 4 pages or so all at once and just move and size them where you need them. I have enjoyed the larger monitor and am considering a 40" 4k TV to utilize for even more real estate. Black Friday has some great price on 4k TV's, much cheaper than a large monitor. Best of luck!

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
State
Washington
Robert...thanks for posting.

Does your setup allow you to also display other web pages or the email service page to the side of the vertical form page? I would need to have at least one form page showing, and the other Data Source pages also on one screen. When I'd need to see the Addendum undocked with the main form page, I'd minimize the Data Sources pages.

Robert McGaughey

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Robert...thanks for posting.

Does your setup allow you to also display other web pages or the email service page to the side of the vertical form page? I would need to have at least one form page showing, and the other Data Source pages also on one screen. When I'd need to see the Addendum undocked with the main form page, I'd minimize the Data Sources pages.

Yes. With my 34" monitor I can put 3 pages up on the screen at one time with no problem. I can have other pages open behind those with just an edge of the window showing to easily open it or those as well. I generally have Total and MLS open to full size and email open with about 1/2 to 2/3 of it showing. That is enough to see when I get new email and to see what they area. I am going to try a larger monitor, really a tv, and see how that works as a monitor. That way I can have more pages open to try and facilitate me going paperless. Not sure how that is going to work out..... Best of luck.

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
I have total in a virtual box on a Linux machine. I have 2 - 23" monitors with one set vertical. Linux based programs/browsers can be running on both and 2 virtual box windows are running either on 1 monitor or 1 on each monitor.
Each of the 4 primary instances can have multiple browsers pages open. A third actual monitor does have some merit.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
i dont understand the benefit of 2 or more monitors. when i start typing a report i start at the beginning and just type from beginning to the end, about 45 minutes total. i switch between datamaster once and my local MLS a few times which are easily brought up by clicking the appropriate box on the bottom toolbar. my MLS takes me to each counties own website so im not crazily switching between web pages nor do i use any other programs. id love to save more time just dont see how itd benefit me personally.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
i dont understand the benefit of 2 or more monitors.

You have no idea how much more productive you would be with at least two monitors. I could never work with just two monitors again. I just ordered a new computer with network capabilities, three 23" screens, etc. $2,200 for the whole thing custom built.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
fwiw i switched to using 2 tvs long ago. they are bigger and cheaper than computer monitors and let's face it, much like cameras we don't need high end performance equipment for what we do. 24" monitors start around $115-150 while a 32" tv can be had for $135-$150 depending on brand. it's a no brainer, provided you have the desk space to utilize them.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
You have no idea how much more productive you would be with at least two monitors. I could never work with just two monitors again. I just ordered a new computer with network capabilities, three 23" screens, etc. $2,200 for the whole thing custom built.

i know darn it i keep hearing this... i may have to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks