• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Sinking Tower Initiates Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAjRDcp?m=en-us

City Attorney Dennis Herrera sued the developer of the sinking Millennium condominium tower Thursday, alleging the builder violated the law by failing to disclose the building’s settlement issues despite knowing of the problem more than a year before the units came to market.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
failing to disclose the building’s settlement issues despite knowing of the problem more than a year before the units came to market.

Probably thought. Oh don't worry, they'll never notice. :rof:

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
And every real estate agent involved in a transaction is going to be pulled into the lawsuit as well, asserting that they should have known. And right behind will be the appraisers. And all of us will have our E&O rates go up as settlements are paid out.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
As I recall the HOA and individual owners had already filed a lawsuits against the developers.The city attorney is just trying to save face because the City will be named in the lawsuits because their inspectors signed off on all the poor workmanship. I doubt appraisers or agents will be involved because this was a new development and nobody but the developer and City had knowledge of the situation and the Attorneys will be looking for big money from both the developers insurance carrier and the City.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
As usual the big winners will be the shysters. :leeann:

leasedfee

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Anyone want to guess how much this will impact value and how much economic/physical life it will shorten? The SF market is so short on housing product, especially new, that I'd imagine that it'd become mostly rentals, and somebody out there might overlook the flaws, assuming it keeps it C/O, for 20%/30% off?

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Not necessarily. If the city determines that the building is structurally unsound, it may come down. Happened with a 50 story building in Vegas, part of the Cosmopolitan development.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Let's see San Francisco ** One small earthquake and half down * The City can pay for the other half to come down :)

leasedfee

Professional Status
State
Colorado
The foundation is "reinforced concrete on floating box" on piles. You would'a thought a 58 story building would be to bedrock, like the building next door 181 Fremont that was built subsequent to Millennium, down 260 feet. Maybe the case of Get What You Pay For? I can see the conversation between the developer-architect-engineers: "Sir, we can save $1 million if we don't drill to bedrock." "Yeah, let's do that."
Live and learn.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
You need that tattoo picture.

Faster, Cheaper, Better!

There are days I miss our buddy Jeffie Schurman.

Makes you wonder what the cost approach looked like on the construction appraisal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks