• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Sketch Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenTestin

Sophomore Member
I have yet another question :)

If you are sketching the second floor of a Cape or property where the GLA is considered at less than 100% of the first floor, do you just sketch area that is considered for GLA, or do you sketch the GLA, and then outline the footprint?

Helen

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
I have yet another question
That's what this forum is all about. ;) As a matter of fact, if you have questions on appraisal "how toos", feel free to post under the General Forum. That may get you more answers, and quicker being the main forum.

I'm having a hard time understanding your question. Are you asking about sketching something, like a finished attic with low ceiling, that would not qualify as GLA? I like to include all major areas on my skecth to show the utility and design.

Most sketch programs, that I am aware of, allow you to lable or define the areas like: porch, deck, living area, basement, attic, non-calculated area, other building area, etc.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Welcome Helen!

I'll try to find the ANSI standards site again for you. I know it's already in here somewhere.

Attic or second floor can be sketched any way you want to do it to show what is there. If it's going to be included in the GLA, that section or level needs at least 50% of what would be GLA with the ceiling area over 7' tall and none is counted under 5' tall. Hope I said that correctly.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Thanks Bobby!

As with just about everything, ANSI measuring standards have had a couple of changes over the years, but that is the basics!

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Originally posted by Pamela Crowley (Florida)@Jun 16 2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks Bobby!

As with just about everything, ANSI measuring standards have had a couple of changes over the years, but that is the basics!
Pamela,

I may be wrong here, but I think minimum ceiling height is 7'4". You correct about the 5' Knee walls.

I dont sketch in attics or other non- GLA areas except for garages. I dont sketch in basements either unless there Lake homes with very expensive basement finishing.

The point of the sketch is to help demonstrate how you got to the square footage calculations and if there is any functional obsolesence.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
To avoid confusion I just sketch the GLA portions.

HelenTestin

Sophomore Member
I have seen examples of just doing the GLA area, but here i get confused. Lets say the stairs come up the middle of the house into the second floor. If you sketch the upstairs GLA only, a little bit of the stairs extend outside of the sketch. Do you just shorten the stairs to show only the part of the flight that is in the GLA?

Helen

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Per the ANSI class I took, the staircase area belongs in the GLA of the upper level it takes you to. I was originally taught to remove it so was glad for the correction as it makes sense to me.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
logic....lower level wouldn't need staircase without an upper level!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks