• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle Korosi

Freshman Member
Is there a generally accepted or thought after range of skills that a trainee should post? What would make such a person more attractive to a mentor?

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Assuming you have completed your education to be a trainee, here are a few quick thoughts on late Sunday night. :asleep: My mind is roaming, so this list is not complete, but it should give you some ideas..... I hope. :huh:

1. Computer skills....... All Windows based programs are basically the same.
2. Computer skills....... know how to get around on the internet.
3. Computer skills....... the boss should not be your tech man. Understanding my #1 pet peeve?? ;)

4. Which is really #1, stay true to your morals and ethics. If your gut feeling says it’s not right, listen to your gut. Appraisers have a code of ethics, and USPAP to follow.
5. Seek the best continuing education you can to stay abreast of changes, laws, and USPAP.
6. You must have initiative and the ability to think on your own. This is a commission based business. :mrgreen:
7. Ability to take constructive criticism and correction without running off to cry in the bathroom, or slamming the boss in front of piers. :angry:
8. Ability to be polite to irritating customers or clients. :rolleyes:
9. Ability to know when to put the phone on hold, and call for your supervisor. :mellow: When the owner, LO, or agent are not being reasonable, are cussing you out, or calling you stupid, :blink: that is when you need to let ME handle the call. :argue: I'm the boss and it's my business. :usa: While I will not tolerate belittling of my staff, if I want to dump the client (or not) that is my call. B)
10. Even the minuscule task are meant to teach you something. I know pulling deeds, plats, and tax cards may not be fun, :asleep: but it's necessary before progressing to the next level.
11. While inspecting properties, listen and watch for my body language. I will point to things, and whisper hints......... they may be good, or bad. Do not repeat anything within ear shot of the owner, just make notes....... we will discuss it later in the car. If anything about the property needs to be said to the owner, I will say so.
12. Don your armor of thick skin. This is a rough business with dart coming from all directions, and without warning. :sniper:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Lets see.... long blonde hair, nice teef.....big ahhhh, well you know! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Computer skills.
Speedy brain.
Good Edumucation. :D

Computer skills.
Drivers license, car, insurance, etc.
Decent math skills, measuring tape skills, thick skin, sense of adventure. :unsure:

Computer skills.
Map reading and navigation skills, decent eyesight, BS detector.
The 3 R's. Readin wRiting, and aRithmetic. Hmm.. 3 R's? :eek:

Computer skills,
But you don't have to be a programmer.
Or Doctor of "Brainiatrics", or Sadistics, err Statistics. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks