Assuming you have completed your education to be a trainee, here are a few quick thoughts on late Sunday night. :asleep: My mind is roaming, so this list is not complete, but it should give you some ideas..... I hope.
1. Computer skills....... All Windows based programs are basically the same.
2. Computer skills....... know how to get around on the internet.
3. Computer skills....... the boss should not be your tech man. Understanding my #1 pet peeve??
4. Which is really #1, stay true to your morals and ethics. If your gut feeling says it’s not right, listen to your gut. Appraisers have a code of ethics, and USPAP to follow.
5. Seek the best continuing education you can to stay abreast of changes, laws, and USPAP.
6. You must have initiative and the ability to think on your own. This is a commission based business. :mrgreen:
7. Ability to take constructive criticism and correction without running off to cry in the bathroom, or slamming the boss in front of piers.
8. Ability to be polite to irritating customers or clients.
9. Ability to know when to put the phone on hold, and call for your supervisor. :mellow: When the owner, LO, or agent are not being reasonable, are cussing you out, or calling you stupid, :blink: that is when you need to let ME handle the call. I'm the boss and it's my business. :usa: While I will not tolerate belittling of my staff, if I want to dump the client (or not) that is my call. B)
10. Even the minuscule task are meant to teach you something. I know pulling deeds, plats, and tax cards may not be fun, :asleep: but it's necessary before progressing to the next level.
11. While inspecting properties, listen and watch for my body language. I will point to things, and whisper hints......... they may be good, or bad. Do not repeat anything within ear shot of the owner, just make notes....... we will discuss it later in the car. If anything about the property needs to be said to the owner, I will say so.
12. Don your armor of thick skin. This is a rough business with dart coming from all directions, and without warning. :sniper: