• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Small Claims Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Squared

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Indiana
Anyone in Indiana know if you are entitled to interest after a settlement is awarded?

I won in small claims court in August and can't get this deadbeat to pay.... yet.

Sean Sutton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
I would probably be more concerned with the return OF your money, not the return ON your money.

In Missouri you cannot charge interest...unless they agreed in writing up front. Since you have a judgement, if you can find out where they bank or if you have and old check in your files from them....you can go to the court house fill out a garnishment form. It's around 20 bucks here and the sheriff serves their bank within a day or two and they watch the account for 30 days to garnish the funds so see if they ever have enough in their account. I have only had to do it once and by the time the garnishment was served to the bank, the ex-client had already closed up shop, so I was SOL. Good luck!

EddieHibbard

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Not for sure, but, I doubt it. You'll still get lucky if you get paid. I think you have to take it back to court to garnish the wages of the person/client that didn't pay you. Sad but probably true. I won't extend a client credit until they prove credit worthy at this point. In my career I was only not paid once before I learned that lesson.

It's funny cause the douche has owed me $600 for 3 years for 2 appraisals I did, I saw him in a bar the other day and he fled before I could confront him.

Ed

Doug Meyer

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Yes you can receive interest on the money. You can drag the dead beat back to court and garnish the wages (if any). If this is a mortgage broker, please let us all in on who it is!!

L Squared

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Indiana
I think my next step is to file a Proceedings Supplemental. Doug I'll PM so you don't have to deal with this deadbeat.

Doug Meyer

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Waiting for your message. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks