• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Smoke/co Detector - Exist Or Meets Building Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackimoya

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
FHA: if the house has smoke/co detector(s) in the only bedroom hallway of a 1-story house. Would you call out for smoke detectors in each bedroom? I don't really want to call it out because it would be the only repair this house would need.

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
That sounds like you have someone's better interest at hand. Is that your job or are you to be an unbiased messenger that goes by the rules you were given when you accepted the job?

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I don't really want to call it out because it would be the only repair this house would need.
Not your problem. The FHA requirement is what it is...follow the requirement.

Last edited:

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Not your problem. The FHA requirement is what it is...following the requirement.
Basically my post comes to the conclusion of what Tim said, lol

Last edited:

jackimoya

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
I looked at the engagement letter after posting this question and the lender/client does specify that if missing detectors violate local building code or state law, they need to be called out as a "building code violation" and the report needs to be 'subject to' - and this is not specific to FHA, it's for all of their reports.

Without lender/client stipulation, I am curious how other FHA appraisers handle detectors, are they requiring that they exist or that they meet building code?

S is for spittman

Professional Status
State
Texas
Well what does local municipality require? Here in Texas, detectors are not required unless home is a rental property which has never been the case for me dealing with FHA. And if a lender requires a comment or photo, I simply state that it is not required by local jurisdiction or FHA. If they are not required by code and they still want you to check how many detectors there are, where they are located and if they work, then I would start charging more for that client.

jackimoya

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Well what does local municipality require? Here in Texas, detectors are not required unless home is a rental property which has never been the case for me dealing with FHA. And if a lender requires a comment or photo, I simply state that it is not required by local jurisdiction or FHA. If they are not required by code and they still want you to check how many detectors there are, where they are located and if they work, then I would start charging more for that client.
My understanding is, here in California, smoke detectors are required in each of the bedrooms and the bedroom hallway(s) and on each level (even if there are no bedrooms on that level); CO detectors are required on each level (even if there are no bedrooms on that level) and within 10 feet of the bedroom doors.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
FHA Purchase I would Condition them to be installed in the Bedrooms - Each State is different but your in California and you don't need those nice people at Santa-Ana HOC sending you a letter.
California State Fire Code ** Placement
Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, in the hallways leading to the bedrooms, and on each level of your home, including the basement. Smoke alarms should be mounted on the ceiling 4" from the wall; wall mounts should be 4-12" from the ceiling. Do not install near draft areas (windows, vents.). Call your local fire department if you are unsure about placement.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 134708

In CA that house gonna have more issues than smoke detectors for meeting CA code.

Smoke detectors as glen said. Also, if has pool needs 1 of 7 safety devices, no dog doors or cat doors. Need working fan vents in bathrooms, windows not OK by themselves, soil must slope 5% away from the home in all area, on and on.

Pretty much the house has to be built post 2010 to meet CA codes aka FHA.

If FHA appraisers really wanted to make $$, come to CA, not possible for homes to meet codes/FHA. You can technically get 1004D's in perpetuity.

Meeting CA code is akin to meeting USPAP. It's not technically possible. There will always be a minuscule flaw in every home/report.

Last edited by a moderator:

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I looked at the engagement letter after posting this question and the lender/client does specify that if missing detectors violate local building code or state law, they need to be called out as a "building code violation" and the report needs to be 'subject to' - and this is not specific to FHA, it's for all of their reports.

Without lender/client stipulation, I am curious how other FHA appraisers handle detectors, are they requiring that they exist or that they meet building code?
Never get caught in the Building Code Trap because no home in California over 10 years old meets current standards- This is very easy your appraisal will meet FHA minimum Property Requirements "Subject" to smoke detectors being installed. After they have been installed you will go back out take photos and complete the 1004D and charge them $100.00 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks