• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Software for Mac users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nofx4us

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Both of my windows xp based computers are somehow on the outs (as if they both knew to start crapping out right before tax season!).
I've been considering purchasing a Mac, but I haven't been able to find out if either WinTotal or ClickForms (which i currently use) supports this rival platform (Leopard).
Anyone have any insights on this one?

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
ClickFORMS will run on a Mac several different ways.

The cheapest is to use CrossOver to install and run the program. Apex will also run under CrossOver, but the integration does not work (integration does work with WinSketch.) IE for Windows version six runs under CrossOver for accessing sites that require that browser, but it will not work with some sites. (It worked fine with our old Tempo MLS, but does not work with the upgraded MLS released Monday in the Triangle area. Complex Active X sites often have issues.) CrossOver is getting better all the time.

If you have an XP installation disk (full version) you can use BootCamp to run the computer as a windows machine. This is great for games, but not practical for business, IMHO.

Parallels and Fusion will run windows within the Mac OS (you must also supply a license for windows) letting most anything run. They can also be combined with BootCamp to have a single windows installation that runs either way. (Only really useful if games are an issue.) Using a BootCamp installation has some downside in loss of integration of the two OSs. Using a Parallels only installation, you can have the windows folders My Documents, My Photos, etc. mapped to the Documents, Pictures, etc. in the Mac home directory. I will also allow use of the Mac email program as the default email program for windows.

I have used a Mac exclusively since 1/1/2007. Particularly for ClickFORMS users, I can't think of a reason not to use a Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks