• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Solution to Pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeboeger

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
It seems like there are many supporters of a centralized appraisal assigning system run by individual states and/or the federal government.

I strongly believe in reducing or eliminating pressure on appraisers, however, if this is the only solution we can come up with we are extremely off track.

I think we should be asking ourselves what we want more, a stronger backbone to continue to stand against lender pressure, or a government dictating how and when we receive work.

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
LOLOLOL And this is from the same folks who thinik the AMCs take too much of the fee.

Do they even realize how much the gov't would subsidize fees to pay for the system? And then, of course, there will be red tape which every appraiser has to go through before even becoming part of the "system", and then, of course, there will be lost orders that "fell through the cracks." And, of course, no matter what they say about a rotating system, there will be those folks who have an "in" with the folks that run the system who get the bulk of the orders.

This just cracks me up.

Smokehouse

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Hey we could save some money and have the central appraisal office located inside the Department of Motor Vehicles. We would then be able to stand in line for an hour or two to get our hand out.......errr our appraisal assignment due within the next 2-4 hours for $25. Sounds like a plan! :)

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
It seems like there are many supporters of a centralized appraisal assigning system run by individual states and/or the federal government.

I strongly believe in reducing or eliminating pressure on appraisers, however, if this is the only solution we can come up with we are extremely off track.

I think we should be asking ourselves what we want more, a stronger backbone to continue to stand against lender pressure, or a government dictating how and when we receive work.

The problem with depending upon a "stronger backbone" to resist "pressure" is that only those who have it, use it.

And, you forget, there is a near unlimited supply of "appraisers" (well, at least they have a license that indicates such status) who could not compete if their income were dependent upon their adherence to high ethical standards and possession of competency.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
I keep saying...just think of the overwhelming amount of regulation we have NOW, and how much you like it....

Now picture more.....

Who really wants that?

The Matrix

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
If the government is going to insure loans and expect the taxpayer to pick-up the losses...then the government needs to do everything possible to make sure appraisals are unbiased and appraisal valuations are not the result of lender pressure.

If private lenders want to continue to pressure appraisers...and the private lenders are willing to suffer the financial losses...then thats their perogative, as long as they don't ask for a taxpayer bailout.

We all know appraiser's need a stronger "backbone"....but how do we issure that an appraiser is honest ??? To me they're either honest or dishonest.....and we now have a system that rewards dishonesty and ignores incompetence.

Last edited:

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Please forward this to those you like & those you don't like:

Solution to pressure: Check see if you have any Ba Back Bone & then say NO, Please don't say BUT I need the money!! just turn them in to every agency you can think of!!

Anyone on here, wanta sit in front of congress & say There is a need for Appraisers When any State Senator Or Rep can EASILY show as many or ALMOST as many Bogus Appraisals for their State as they can good clean Appraisals?? Many appraisers did exactly as the lending industry wanted!! they as "supposedly" professional Appraisers broke every rule imaginable & kissed the @$$ of those, that we were SUPPOSE to protect the General public from. With no worry of any agency doing anything to them, cause it was GOOD for the economy of the STATE!! I WISH I was talented enough, & had the memory of younger folks to bring up several incidents in past 5 years where some in CE Classes that are still here BRAGGED about the number of Trainees they had & how they with modern technology NEVER even saw their Trainees. & my favorite those that actually bragged about giving reduce fees for multiple orders. I see they have changed their tune now.

NO ONE DESTROYED THE APPRAISAL PROFESSION, OTHER THAN APPRAISERS THEMSELVES!!

Anyone that thinks the "profession" will be fixed soon is having nothing more than a Dream !!! Here is a real dilemma I gotta pay 150+++ to take a mandatory USPAP class within every two years cause I get a book!! & to think many that are taking that class will NEVER open that book again once they leave the class & then a majority won't even obey a thing the book tells them & NO ONE will read the preamble, then here in AZ no one will be able to enforce USPAP cause the Governor going to take that money & waste it on future Appraisers!! (I said future Appraisers cause IF I'd said KIDS many would think I was insensitive!! )

Also an Apology to those of the newest licensed & those still in Training you have no idea HOW screwed you are!! Most of you were shown how to fill in a form, most of you were never shown anything about appraising. With this rapidly changing market You don't have a change at defending yourselves in a court of law. & there will be some/many of us in court in the next two years. with my aggressive "out of line behavior" In the event that I ever do get anyone in AZ to start taking more enforcement action I'll probably be one of the first to feel the wrath of my work!! Seriously there are some in AZ doing some serious enforcement & I urge all to go to them before they come to you. consider this!! Someone has to be punished for destroying the economy & who better than those that have no Ba Back bone to fight??

Newly Licensed & Trainees, Here is all you need to know: Banks have Billions for Defense. Mortgage Co.'s have Millions for defense. Appraisers have nothing but time. This turns to a win win for the State they get money from the Big Boys, Mortgage companies pay & close, Appraisers go to Jail & the General Public BELIEVES Justice has been served.

Trainees & newly licensed I beg you to go to DFI & the Board at the Board meeting!! & tell them "I feel as though I may be improperly trained what can I do to help you stop this insanity".

Most of all::: A public Thank you to: Zaio for finding so many stupid people.

Last edited:

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
Ya'll forget it is not just the appraisal industry which is full of dishonest folks - they are out there and if there is a dollar to be earned they will find a way to do it.

We have dishonest attorneys, CPAs, judges, doctors, realtors, pharmacists, veterinarians, the list goes on and on. There is no one fast cure for any of these professions or the appraisal industry.

Not everyone starts of unethical. It is the lure of quick money which appeals and turns the borderline folk into money grabbing pigs.

More laws and oversight doesn't fix anything. It is the way of the world, unfortunately, and unless you can find a way to make a utopia, it is what we have to deal with.

It is how we deal with it and how we stand up to the loonies of the world that make us better.

Squareitup

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
District of Columbia

I see appraisers wanting a stronger organization of appraisers in order to establish higher performance standards of the whole industry. It is a mistake to let some generic beaurocracy be a centralized ordering system. There are too many good lenders and ethical appraisers who should participate in the solution, to let haste develop a solution that brings everyone down to the level of policing the worst performers. Let the best start bringing the others up. Somewhere is the mix of regulation and independence that quality appraisers will prefer. Penalities for lenders and appraisers who participate in fraud need to be enforced more harshly, but how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks