• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Some Encouraging Words For Trainees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer Freudenberg

Freshman Member
I wanted to give some hopefully encouraging words to other trainees looking for mentors. After looking for 6 weeks and having no luck, I became really discouraged. I was beginning to consider another line of work at least temporarily. I finally got an interview with a wonderful appraisal firm today and I start Monday.

Here's what I wanted to you other frustrated newbies know:

The appraiser who hired me said that one thing that made me stand out from the 60 other applicants was my typing speed (75 wpm). She said that she gets people with a real estate background who can't type and it takes them forever to do a report at first, whereas those who are quick typists can get them out much faster. Common sense, but not something I would have thought mattered too much. I happened to include my typing speed on my resume.

Also, she liked the fact that I had no experience in appraisal. She said that training people who have already worked somewhere else is harder because they often have bad habits. She chose me over some others who had more experience because I could be trained from scratch.

I just thought I would post this to maybe give hope to some of you who feel as though you will never find a mentor, or those who are afraid that their inexperience is a negative. It could be viewed as a positive.

To those of you looking, good luck and keep trying. Something will come your way eventually if you don't give up.

Jennifer

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
:D :D :D
Congratulations, Jennifer!

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Way to go! Your story bears out what we've been saying all along; that your best bet is to bring skills to the table that others may lack. The 90-hour course just isn't enough when you're competing with the other 20 people from your class for the same slot.

Now that you have the opportunity, you will need to follow through and make the most of it. We wish you good fortune and much success.

Allen Bruckner

Professional Status
State
Florida
George, not to say anything bad, but she did not bring anything to the table. Just typing. The appraiser who hired her said, "they like no experience" . Those with experience bring bad habits.

Bringing knowledge of the programs should help. But typing, what should that have to do with it. No one types a form from scratch anymore. Well I hope not. Atlest theyy have a spel chker.

Anyway, go get em girl.

Allen

Richard J. Glesser

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Jennifer,
Congrats!! Welcome aboard and we're here for ya'. :usa:

Jennifer Freudenberg

Freshman Member
Thanks for the encouragement! Allen, I posted this because I never thought my typing speed would be a factor either, but it ended up helping me get an interview that I may not have gotten if I hadn't included it on my resume. I just wanted to pass that on to anyone out there who didn't think to include it on theirs.

I think I am bringing a lot to the table. I have tons of experience, just in a different field, but the skills that I have are transferrable and relevant to this field. :)
Thanks!

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:allcolors:
Congrats!
:rainfro:

:rofl: on the 'Hunh'? :huh: THAT skill got me hired? Been there done that!

I once took my inexperienced self to a job interview because it was one of the few jobs available in the semi-rural area in which I lived. The slightly cryptic ad intrigued me. I was hired. I beat 12 other applicants all of whom had 1/2 hour interviews. One of them was my brother... :( ... didn't know he'd applied

Ad title was Builder's Assistant.
Actual job description was gofer, organizer, handholder/nurse, and general construction worker working for a guy who built custom and high end spec homes...

Like you, I brought plenty of other skills to the table, but had no specific experience in the field in which I was seeking a position.

I also was hired because of my 'lack of knowlege/bad habits'
AND the fact I had two years of college under my belt :D
He wanted someone who could read write and do rithmatic :lol:
AND keep him amused with conversation/agueing <_< .
He made a deliberate mis-statement to see if I'd correct him.
I of course did :p

Worked for him for near 7 years,
and quit on an annual or bi-annual basis :p
miss him dearly, died of a heart attack at 47 :(

You new employer does however sound a LOT more pleasant B)

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Originally posted by George Hatch@Jul 18 2003, 09:40 PM
Way to go! Your story bears out what we've been saying all along; that your best bet is to bring skills to the table that others may lack. The 90-hour course just isn't enough when you're competing with the other 20 people from your class for the same slot.

Now that you have the opportunity, you will need to follow through and make the most of it. We wish you good fortune and much success.
George,

Could not agre with your paragraph more. :beer:

Newbees, Its very simple. GET AN EDGE! Any edge over your competitors can only help. Think of it this way. If you and another trainee are applying for the only available postion in town. The other dude knows the Mentor. If everything else is equal who will get the the job?

So how about getting a huge margin over your competitors. Try self teaching/learning of What it takes to prepare a file for the inspection.

Get software demo's for alamode and ACI. That covers about 70% of the market. Be proficient in using this software.

Practice measuring large complex houses with KNOWN square footage.

Prepare three sample reports for mentors to look at prior to your interview.

Develope interview skills!

NOTE: For those who are looking for a way to circumvent the licensing laws. Do you really want to meet a forum member during your competency hearing with a state licensing board.

If your offended by this direct hard hitting post then just maybe you need to self examine a little.

Steve Gish

Sophomore Member
Congratulaitons, that's wonderful. I too am still looking, my resume and sample package shows a completed sample appraisal done with the demo version of A La Mode, I type 45-55 wpm "accurately", my 10-key is way up there and I can figure the size of a semi-circle. Glad to hear you found a place to get started! :beer:

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Good job jennifer. Takes time and patiences to find a mentor. And yes sometimes no experince is good. Not having to retrain on how to do something. Like looking for comparable sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks