• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Something Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
I did an inspection today and while I was looking at the crawl space the tenant mentioned:

"When the home inspector was here, he had a little remote controlled car with three wheel on each side and cameras mounted on it. He said he was getting too old to crawl under houses"

What a cool idea. I would do FHA inspections if I had one of those.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Probably has a drone too.

sunster

Professional Status
State
California
IIRC, forum member RSW experimented using a remote control car w/camera for attic and crawl space inspections after the new HUD 4000.1 handbook came out. Hope he chimes in and lets us know how that is working out.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
"When the home inspector was here, he had a little remote controlled car with three wheel on each side and cameras mounted on it. He said he was getting too old to crawl under houses"
What do you do when the battery dies while under the crawl space?!

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I guess you are one of a small handful of AF members young enough to probably have played with a remote control car.....:)

The rest of us are too old to have had one.....:LOL:
Haha. Yea, i had a couple as a kid. Battery life, getting too much dirt underneath and losing signal due to range were the big 3 my kid brother and I had to worry about ... that and it being hit by a car going by on the street (that happened once...it sucked! - and parents weren't fronting another one for us!)

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
it would have to be one hell of a vehicle to work in the attics i see with exposed rafters.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
A remote car would not be able to take the place of the required inspection protocols for a Home Inspection in a state with HI licensing. Part of the SOW is a requirement to move insulation around plumbing pipes to observe the structure in the immediate area and to probe any wood that shows evidence of moisture or insect damage etc. So unless it comes with a little robot that can get out of the car and do the above, it sounds good but ain't gonna work.

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
move insulation around plumbing pipes and probe wood that shows evidence of moisture or insect damage etc. .

Back in the good 'ol days, they just wanted us to estimate market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks