• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Something SIMPLE can't be this HARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary E Perry

Freshman Member
Been trying for days, day and days to copy Appraiser Toolbox reports to a CD-R. I have Adaptec's - Easy CD Creator 4 and Direct CD Wizard. Tried them both. It appears that the problem is in the file extensions (U2D, SKT, etc.) of the reports. I have tried not showing the file extension as directed by the Bradford Tech. instructions but it does not appear to work with my Windows ME operating system. (The extension are not showing up beside the file name but when it's highlighted you see it in the attributes area). I have formatted the CD with the Direct CD Wizard software, copied the files with both of software (Direct CD & Easy CD) and closed the CD with both. When I try and open the file I get the message "U2D is not a valid Win32 application". BTW I have set each file to open with Appraisers Toolbox. I have also tried to open them other ways as well. Pleeeeeeeze Help!!!! :?

John Hassler

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I have no specific tips. However, I have been saving my Toolbox reports, including those with .U2d extensions, to CD using Easy CD Creator 5 on a win2kPro machine with no problems. Maybe you need to get the upgrade to version 5? Have you tried to burn other data files (not music) with your current version 4 and OS?

John Hassler

Mary E Perry

Freshman Member
No I have not tried to copy other data. I'll give that a try next. Can you tell me when you look at the properties of the file that you have copied (highlight, right click, properties) what does your file indicate as "opens with" and "file type"?

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I was also thinking about burning my Toobox files to CD but it's such a slow process even with my 32x12x40. So I bought a cheapie USB2 external hard drive for a back-up and I shove them all on there including the PDF files I send to my clients. If the main comuter goes down, I just plug the USB cable for the external hard drive into my other computer and I'm back in business

Ben

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
When I try and open the file I get the message "U2D is not a valid Win32 application". BTW I have set each file to open with Appraisers Toolbox. I have also tried to open them other ways as well. Pleeeeeeeze Help!!!! :?

I am going to take a stab at this. If I remember right when I backed up some DayOne files basically the same thing happened to me. What maybe happening is that your files are backed up but in order to access them you may have to restore the files back on your computers HD. You shouldn't have to but seems like DayOne did the same thing on me. Could be a quirk in your software.

Simple thing to do is create a dummy file. Maybe copy an existing file and save it under a different name. Burn it on CD and they delete if from your hard drive. Then restore the file and verify that you can open it and that it works.

Not the best way but if you are truly wanting backups of your data all that matters is that you can get it on you computer if you need it.

John Hassler

Professional Status
State
California
Mary

In awnser to your question, the File Type on the burned cd is "U2D" and the Opens With is "unknown". Just for fun, I tried to open a cd file from Toolbox and had no problems.

Try to burn a Word or WordPerfect document and see what happens, your problem may not be specific to Toolbox. Let me know if I can check anything else in my setup.

John H

Bill_FL

Professional Status
State
Florida
Mary,

I think to answer your question, a few more questions must be asked.

First, are your doing a "Backup" or are you copying files?

What happens when you try, does anything move onto the CD?

If the file moves to the cd, and you can not see the .U2d, dont worry about it. Go to toolbox and open the file on the cd from inside toolbox to see if it loads.

Alot of times, different software packages either show or hide the file extensions. Most hide them. I prefer to see them. If you are simply double clicking on the file name to see if it will open, the computer does not recognize the .u2d extension and is asking you what program can run that. For example, windows knows that a .pdf file opens with adobe. So it launches adobe automatically. Windows does not know, until you tell it, that a .U2d file opens with toolbox.

Professional Status
State
Florida
Mary,

I print the report to PDF Distiller. Then, copy it to the CD with Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum ("Make a Data Disk") Then, you have an exact copy of what you sent to the client. It can easily be read from the CD, no trouble.

Tom

Willie

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I don't know what the answer is. Sorry. All I know is that w' my Nero Burner, I burned about 20 TOOLBOX reports and 100-200 photos to a CD in about 2 minutes. Gosh I love this new computer. If you have any inclination in buying a new computer, go ahead. My copy and paste photos are now instant.

Em Tee

Professional Status
State
California
All I know is that w' my Nero Burner, I burned about 20 TOOLBOX reports and 100-200 photos to a CD in about 2 minutes.

I was thinking about buying an external CDRW drive. Can you tell me more about your Nero Burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks