• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Sony Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Youngkrantz

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I am considering replaceing my Toshiba laptop with a new Sony Vaio. Does anybody have any experience with a Sony? This one has a Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 processor 2GB DDR2 memory. 15.1" screen.
Any comments appreciated.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I know there are some problems installing ClickFORMS on a Sony with Vista installed. The problems are related to the default configuration Sony uses. Check with your software providers to be sure you won't have difficulties, and prepare to work around them if there are issues.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Ken,

IMO, any laptop is better then a Toshiba.

IMO, Donot get anything but the Intel chip. The AMD run hot.

When my dell dies, my next laptop will be a sony.

PLCG

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I have had three Sony laptops and 1 desktop. I have neveh had any problem with them. I work on the theory that I have my eyeballs glued to the screen for zzz hours a day and I want that to be easy. They have the best screen I have seen - and I check the competition each time before I buy. I also like speed - and they've been great in that area too.

That said, I have heard that there is a problem with Sony Vista for the appraisal software programs. I think there are others as well as Clickforms. You should check with your software provider before you buy. Or you could just get the laptop with the XP system on it. That works well with everything. You won't have to upgrade all your software.

Jason S

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Just a question:

Is there a reason a bunch of you use laptop over desktops. Or is it just an additional computer when your out of the office?

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I prefer the mobility. Sometimes when I travel I take it with me to catch up.

Also, it allows me to take a longer weekend somewhere and still appear to be in the office with my clients.

Last edited:

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I have had 3 Sony Viaos. 2 were awful, 1 was/is good. I had one Toshiba and it was the best of my laptops prior to going back to a Mac. I hear HPs are awful and my brother swears by Toshiba as the best (so does my husband and he works with computers). Mixed reviews on my three...

Lost Cause

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
Found Only One Flaw With Sony

The only negative thing I've ever heard about Sony laptops is that the speed of the hard drive (rpm's) is slower than most laptops out there. This will make the Sony somewhat slow to load up when intially switched on. Otherwise, they seem superior in most respects.

I would also agree with the advice to stick with Intel over AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks